Broccoli served how?

Local time
8:23 PM
Some like it raw, others like it steamed or cooked slightly and maybe some don't like it at all. It's claimed it's one of the healthiest foods out there but truth be told I think it needs a little jazzing up from time to time. When I'm not having it steam and bland,I'll have it in soup, in a vegetable pie, or served with a mayo mixture that includes a little mustard, sugar, and whatever I choose to play around with.

How are you using broccoli in your cooking? I'm happy to try something new.

Try tossing cooked broccoli in a pan with olive oil (or oil from the anchovy tin) chopped anchovies and garlic. Or chopped red chilli and white sesame seeds (looks very pretty).

Try tossing cooked broccoli in a pan with olive oil (or oil from the anchovy tin) chopped anchovies and garlic. Or chopped red chilli and white sesame seeds (looks very pretty).

Thanks. The look is important especially if I am having guest. If it looks good they'll automatically think it taste good. That has worked for me in the past.

Lately I've been obsessed with it in salads. I steam it a little so it's still got a little crunch but is easy to eat, and chop some roast beef, avocado, and some lightly pan fried red onion. A little sesame/ginger dressing mixed through the lot, and it's heavenly. I know it sounds a bit weird but it's so tasty!

Unlike most people, I tend to like broccoli. There are only 2 ways in which I use this vegetable. I very often steam it along with other vegetables, but because it cooks so quickly, I would add it to the top of the other vegetables when these vegetables are almost finished. If broccoli is cooked too long it can get very mushy and is not nice at all. The other way I use this vegetable is when I am cooking chowmein noodles. I mix this into the noodles along with some other vegetables like carrots and beans, as well as spinach on occasion. Of course there would also be some kind of meat in the chowmein. In my case, it would be chicken tenders. I sometimes like to eat the broccoli stems also, since I believe they contain some health benefits as well. Once before, I would always cut off the stems and throw them away.

Is that the best you can do? I was going to ask for a Guinness broccoli recipe but I held off. Cupcakechef nothing is weird around here. Ask Classic.
It was me that posted it!
Guinness Broccoli Cheddar Dip
Guinness Broccoli Cheddar Dip.jpg

Think you're escaping and run into yourself. Longest way round is the shortest way home.
James Joyce, Ulysses

Ingredients:
  • 1 can of Guinness Draught
  • 2 pounds broccoli, steamed and grated
  • on box grater
  • 11⁄2 pounds cheddar, grated
  • 4 shallots, diced
  • 4 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
  • 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh thyme, chopped
  • 10 ounces heavy cream
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 teaspoon dijon mustard

Instructions:

• In a saucepan, cook shallots and garlic in oil until soft and colorless.
  • Add mustard, Guinness and 8 ounces of cream, reserving 2 ounces.
  • Reduce by half on medium heat.
  • Turn heat to low and whisk in 1 pound of cheddar. Remove from heat and let cool for 3 minutes, then stir in 2 ounces cream, broccoli, 1/2-pound of cheddar and herbs.
  • Once incorporated, transfer to Pyrex or microwave dish, cool completely in refrigerator.
  • When ready to serve, heat in microwave or oven at 350 degrees until hot and bubbling. Let cool slightly before serving with an assorment of dippers.
http://draftmag.com/recipes/detail/22

Last edited:
I like it raw or steamed. It is good with a cheese sauce poured on it. Cream of broccoli soup is also really good. It is one of my favorite vegetables.

I like it raw or steamed. It is good with a cheese sauce poured on it. Cream of broccoli soup is also really good. It is one of my favorite vegetables.

I've experimented with different flavours when it comes to the sauces. I've had some hits and I've had some misses. Still I honestly don't especially enjoy it just steamed. The nicest one I've had just steamed to perfection came from Chilli's.

Back
Top Bottom