Brown sauce

Hammond's Chop Sauce (note that there is no tamarind) 75 cals per 100g
Ingredients
Water, Sugar, Apple Puree, Modified Maize Starch, Cane Molasses, Acidity Regulator (Acetic Acid), Salt, Rye Flour, Spirit Vinegar, Tomato Paste, Spices, Colour (Ammonia Caramel), Preservative (Potassium Sorbate)

HP sauce: 122 cals per 100g
Ingredients
Tomatoes, Malt Vinegar (from Barley), Molasses, Glucose-Fructose Syrup, Spirit Vinegar, Sugar, Dates, Modified Cornflour, Rye Flour, Salt Spices, Flavourings, Tamarind

Tiptree: 191 cals per 100g
Ingredients
Tomatoes, Sugar, Treacle, Barley Malt Vinegar, Wine Vinegar, Apples, Sultanas, Oranges, Citrus Fibre, Salt, Tamarind, Lemon Juice, Spices

Waitrose (no tamarind) 114 cals per 100g
Ingredients
Water, sugar, spirit vinegar, apple purée, barley malt vinegar, thickener (modified maize starch), tomato concentrate, salt, oranges, spices (ginger, clove, black pepper, coriander, paprika, mustard flour), colour E150D, black pepper, natural onion flavouring, pepper extract flavouring, chilli flavouring.

Note that the Tiptree is over twice as many calories as Hammonds. Hammonds has least calories so presumably less sugar. Waitrose has next least calories and like Hammonds doesn't contain tamarind.

A1 sauce: 88 cals per 100g

Ingredients:
Tomato Puree (Water, Tomato Paste), Vinegar, Corn Syrup, Salt, Raisin Paste, Crushed Orange Puree, Spices, Dried Garlic, Colour (E150a), Dried Onions, Preservative (E202) (To Preserve Freshness), Thickening Agent (E415), Celery Seed.

My brother used to love A1 sauce. He'd put it on everything.

He also despises raisins. One day, I pointed out A1 has raisins in it (paste). He hasn't touched it since, and every now and then, he'll remind me that I stole one of life's little pleasures from him. :laugh:

I've always thought of A1 as just a steak sauce, but they have removed "steak" from the label. If anyone asked if I had any A1 to put on a steak I made, I might have to punch them in the face. :D

Donald Trump puts Ketchup on his steak -- steak cooked to well done! That's enough reason for voting him out. :wink::okay:

CD

I've always thought of A1 as just a steak sauce, but they have removed "steak" from the label. If anyone asked if I had any A1 to put on a steak I made, I might have to punch them in the face. :D

Donald Trump puts Ketchup on his steak -- steak cooked to well done! That's enough reason for voting him out. :wink::okay:

CD
Remember the old A1 commercials, where the guy would tell you to put it on your burgers?

"What's a hamburger, chopped ham?! No, it's chopped steak!" :laugh:

I sometimes put pepper sauce with steak and sometimes mushroom sauce (both made from scratch). The only "condiments" that I would put near steak would be salt and pepper seasoning and/or mustard (preferably English).

Ketchup I reserve only for burgers and sometimes hot dogs. Never bacon.

Brown sauce I may add to sausage and chips, refried mashed potatoes and bubble and squeak, baked beans, cottage pie. Never bacon. I may add brown sauce to pie (steak and kidney) and mushy peas but generally mint sauce (a must for porky pie and mushy peas).

Fish and chips, with or without mushy peas, will only get salt and vinegar.

Bacon never gets anything.

I sometimes put pepper sauce with steak and sometimes mushroom sauce (both made from scratch). The only "condiments" that I would put near steak would be salt and pepper seasoning and/or mustard (preferably English).

Ketchup I reserve only for burgers and sometimes hot dogs. Never bacon.

Brown sauce I may add to sausage and chips, refried mashed potatoes and bubble and squeak, baked beans, cottage pie. Never bacon. I may add brown sauce to pie (steak and kidney) and mushy peas but generally mint sauce (a must for porky pie and mushy peas).

Fish and chips, with or without mushy peas, will only get salt and vinegar.

Bacon never gets anything.

I make a mushroom and peppercorn sauce for steaks sometimes. It is usually on something like tenderloin, that doesn't have a strong beef flavor.

I use ketchup on fries (chips), and that's pretty much all I use it on.

Fish and chips -- malt vinegar and tartar sauce.

Mushy peas are not a thing in the US.

CD

Steak, I like a peppercorn sauce, or a béarnaise (and hollandaise, by extension, or should that be the other way round?), or even a simple red wine pan sauce.

Fish and chips, the only fish dish I eat is malt vinegar.

Burgers, it's open season. Sometimes I want them drowning in ketchup, sometimes the holy trinity of mustard, ketchup, mayonnaise. Sometimes I like a little burger with my load of mayonnaise. Sometimes, it's topped with cole slaw (regional thing) and sometimes with tartar sauce (local thing)

Fries are the same. I'll use ketchup, chili sauce, mayonnaise, honey mustard, sandwich spread, vinegar, tartar sauce, sour cream, gravy, just about anything is fair game.

My brother used to love A1 sauce. He'd put it on everything.

He also despises raisins. One day, I pointed out A1 has raisins in it (paste). He hasn't touched it since, and every now and then, he'll remind me that I stole one of life's little pleasures from him. :laugh:
I don't care for raisins, maybe that's why I always detested A1? I also don't like Worcestshire sauce, and A1 kinda has that weird, off-putting WS flavor.

Burgers, it's open season. Sometimes I want them drowning in ketchup, sometimes the holy trinity of mustard, ketchup, mayonnaise. Sometimes I like a little burger with my load of mayonnaise. Sometimes, it's topped with cole slaw (regional thing) and sometimes with tartar sauce (local thing)

Fries are the same. I'll use ketchup, chili sauce, mayonnaise, honey mustard, sandwich spread, vinegar, tartar sauce, sour cream, gravy, just about anything is fair game.
You forgot the aioli mayo.

I too have it. I keep a bottle for my Brit friend when he stays.

Russ

Back
Top Bottom