Brown sauce

Steaks here I offer garlic sauce aka Dianne sauce, or mushroom sauce. Occasionally I make a green pepper corn sauce, but we don't have green peppercorns ATM. But I did mention it to the wife last week. It will turn up eventually. It comes in a small glass jar in liquid. Chips and roast potatoes it's aioli

Russ

I use ketchup on fries (chips), and that's pretty much all I use it on.

Fish and chips -- malt vinegar and tartar sauce.

Mushy peas are not a thing in the US.

CD

I usually only use salt on my fries/chips. I don't like ketchup unless it is mixed with horseradish to make a shrimp dip. That's all ketchup is good for here.

Eventually, I tried malt vinegar with my fish and and chips - now there was a flavor blast I was so glad to learn about!

Yes, agreed, no one here knows about mushy peas. I got into trouble as a kid when I tried to mash mine in hopes that they'd taste better, just like roasted potatoes tasted better mashed. (STOP PLAYING WITH YOUR FOOD!!) It wasn't understood that I was trying to fix it.

A1 has different flavors. I like the Bold and Spicy.

Back when we had A1 sauce, before I went out on my own, there was only the one flavor. New flavors now? Who knew???

I don't care for raisins, maybe that's why I always detested A1? I also don't like Worcestshire sauce, and A1 kinda has that weird, off-putting WS flavor.

I'm no fan of raisins either, but I'm not sure that's why I dislike A1 in recent decades. I think it is more because it overpowers the good meatiness of a good steak...

I have always been a lover of brown sauce on certain foods. My favourite is "Hammond's Chop Sauce" which unfortunately is difficult to obtain (I need to import it from UK). I dislike HP sauce (I find it too sweet) so I am currently searching for a suitable alternative.

Our local "up market" supermarket has begun to stock a Waitrose sauce called "Essential Brown Sauce". Has anyone heard of this sauce and tried it? Although it sells at £1.00 in the UK (480 gms), the price here is the equivalent of £3.25 for the same quantity.

Never tried it, but Waitrose own brand stuff is usually pretty good

I've seen Heinz 57 my whole life. I don't think I've ever had it, though.

Onto the shopping list it goes. :)

Also, "Heinz 57" is a euphemism for a mutt dog here (57 varieties). :laugh:

Since I haven't had Hammond's Chop sauce I can't really say.

OK, I opened the Waitrose Essential today. It's not Hammond's Chop but neither is it HP Sauce. I started by just putting a little on my sausage. It was acceptable so I squeezed a little on the bubbles and squeaks and chips. It's a rather "thin" consistency even when cold which is ideal for me as it will be kept in the fridge. It is the best that I've found available locally.

Since I haven't had Hammond's Chop sauce I can't really say.

Apparently it's available in "Ocado" for £1.99/698gms. I've never been to "Ocado".

I always bought mine from Morrison's but I haven't a clue what the price was.

I've always thought of A1 as just a steak sauce, but they have removed "steak" from the label. If anyone asked if I had any A1 to put on a steak I made, I might have to punch them in the face. :D

Donald Trump puts Ketchup on his steak -- steak cooked to well done! That's enough reason for voting him out. :wink::okay:

CD

That's funny about Trump. A late friend only knew that her husband didn't care for a dish she prepared when he asked for ketchup. ;-) She was lucky in that regard. My ex never complained about anything I cooked unless he knew it any part of it was previously frozen. For some reason, he thinks freezers lead to food poisoning. No amount of explanation ever worked and he would regularly throw away everything in the freezer.

Back
Top Bottom