Brown Sugar vs Sugar that is brown

Perhaps I just fail to understand why they refine sugar cane to the point of white sugar then add a component back in. It makes far more sense to only partially refine it.

It doesn’t really matter if you understand it because, quite frankly, there are lots and lots and lots of people in first world countries that want white granulated sugar as opposed to partially unrefined or unrefined sugar, and don't care if it's vegan or vegetarian. To most people, at least in the U.S., it ONLY makes sense to refine it to white sugar. Walk into a U.S. grocery store and brown sugar of any kind is 1/4 or less of what is available compared to white sugar, and that includes really light brown sugar like Demerara or Turbinado.

‐‐-------------------------------

REGARDLESS, it's a moot point for this challenge. It's a challenge about BROWN sugar in whatever form, not white.

Again, I TRIED to make this an accessible challenge with a worldwide variety of options and I'm not sure why there continues to be conflict, and this is directed at all of those continuing to argue.

Last edited:
Perhaps I just fail to understand why they refine sugar cane to the point of white sugar then add a component back in. It makes far more sense to only partially refine it.

Only one reason... it tastes different. It sounds like you think that we Murcans are mixing white sugar with molasses to make the same thing you have with your "unrefined" cane sugar. That's not what it is. The two sugars do not taste the same. The added molasses makes a significant difference in taste, and it is a good one, for dishes that call for it.

I have a a big container of "unrefined" sugar, which is better described as "minimally processed sugar," because raw sugar cane has to go though some cleaning and processing to be usable. It is not the same as the light brown sugar, and dark brown sugar that I also have in my pantry. They do not taste the same.

The recipe medtran49 posted for brown sugar can easily be used on your "unrefined" sugar plus molasses, and it will change the flavor. All I can say is try it before you knock it.

CD

No.

All sugar produced in Australia is sugar cane sugar. There is no beet sugar in Australian brands of sugar (beet sugar is not normally vegetarian or vegan, it is clarified/ made white over charred animal bones which isn't permitted in Australia). It doesn't mean they're isn't beet sugar available. It can be imported from say American companies producing it, but I haven't seen any. The only imported sugar I've seen is Billingtons, a UK make that's also sugar cane.

I’m confused.

Brown sugar is readily available in Australia.

It’s what we eat on porridge plus loads of other things.

From the CSR website
F4F24D21-FA46-4CDF-8DDA-96C2240E5BC7.jpeg

Last edited:
I’m confused.

Brown sugar is readily available in Australia.

It’s what we eat on porridge plus loads of other things.
Don't worry. It's not the same "brown sugar" that we're talking about. There are two ways of achieving brown sugar. Refining in minimally to go from cane sugar to brown sugar, or refining it to completely white sugar and then adding back molasses afterwards (which seems to be a primarily American thing).

And non-Australian sugar isn't always suitable for those following a vegan/vegetarian/kosher/halal diet because of the way it is bleached white using charred animal bones. So whilst Aussie sugar in Aussie products leaves you with vg/v/halal/kosher end product, anything produced abroad and imported may contain sugar that isn't vg/v/halal/kosher.

Plus that's the last I want to say on the matter. If you read back through all of the posts it may (or may not) make more sense, but brown sugar isn't what you think it should be, so it seems.

And non-Australian sugar isn't always suitable for those following a vegan/vegetarian/kosher/halal diet because of the way it is bleached white using charred animal bones. So whilst Aussie sugar in Aussie products leaves you with vg/v/halal/kosher end product, anything produced abroad and imported may contain sugar that isn't vg/v/halal/kosher.

I can't speak to vegan and religious dietary rules, like halal and kosher. There are way too many rules in those diets, and if you get even one of them a tiny bit wrong, it can't be eaten, and you may risk the wrath of the gods -- or the wrath of the vegans.

Bone char? I eat meat, and have a big leather sofa, so why would I worry about what happens to the bones? At least that part of the animal wasn't wasted.

CD

Where I am in Spain was built on farming sugar cane. The last factory shut down in 1974 due to low profitability by which time they’d switched to beets anyway.
It took me a while to twig the huge pampas’s grasses on empty bits of land are in fact sugar cane. They sell it in the supermarket here, I’m told they like to use it to make a type of lemonade.

F6BC6CF3-0D1E-4770-A784-CFC3F5F464F4.jpeg

They’re everywhere here. When someone pinched my husband’s ipad we sent a message to it saying this item is tracked, return it to the police station saying you found it before we find you.
This caused them to abandon it. We knew the approximate location from ‘find my’ but couldn’t pinpoint it out in a scrubland of sugar cane. All I can say is that sugar cane is very SHARP 😮 but after days and many hours searching it was found 👍

This one gives a bit of perspective of just how tall they get.
3017E24E-FC93-4F9A-BDEB-F88E4FA87AE9.jpeg

80160028-DA56-4FAF-A092-9D5F02C21B99.jpeg

View attachment 97915

Raw sugar cane juice. If you´re lucky, you might find a street vendor in Caracas, but you´re far more likely to find one in some of the smaller cities/towns in the interior of the country. It´s delicious, with a squeeze of lime juice.
My SE Texas grandmother had a patch of sugar cane growing in her backyard. We used to chew the stalks. Yummy!

View attachment 97915

Raw sugar cane juice. If you´re lucky, you might find a street vendor in Caracas, but you´re far more likely to find one in some of the smaller cities/towns in the interior of the country. It´s delicious, with a squeeze of lime juice.

Street vendors sell sticks of sugar cane in the mainly Cuban area in Miami.

BTW, a lot of people use sticks of raw sugar cane as skewers to grill things.

View attachment 97915

That’s available all over Sydney & the inner suburbs as we have a huge Asian population (I think it’s the domain of the Viet or Thai community?) and it’s commonly either a stand alone business or incorporated into a bakery that sells banh mi.

My kids used to love to get a sugar cane fruit smoothie with Jack fruit, pineapple & kiwi or watermelon.

Delicious.

Where I am in Spain was built on farming sugar cane. The last factory shut down in 1974 due to low profitability by which time they’d switched to beets anyway.
It took me a while to twig the huge pampas’s grasses on empty bits of land are in fact sugar cane. They sell it in the supermarket here, I’m told they like to use it to make a type of lemonade.

View attachment 97907

They’re everywhere here. When someone pinched my husband’s ipad we sent a message to it saying this item is tracked, return it to the police station saying you found it before we find you.
This caused them to abandon it. We knew the approximate location from ‘find my’ but couldn’t pinpoint it out in a scrubland of sugar cane. All I can say is that sugar cane is very SHARP 😮 but after days and many hours searching it was found 👍

This one gives a bit of perspective of just how tall they get.
View attachment 97909

View attachment 97908
We travelled to far North Queensland when I was a child. Part of that trip was driving through sugar cane country. I remember it towering over us, the Monaro & the caravan. Huge.

Someone gave me a piece of freshly cut sugar cane to taste the liquid coming out. I remember being unimpressed 😂

Having been born & raised in Hawaii, during the Sugar and Pineapple boom by the way, I grew up gnawing on Sugar Cane stalks all the time. It was like a free treat for kids on their way home from school.
Did you know that the minerals in it are actually good for strengthening teeth? Seems like the sugars would be bad but not the case.

Back
Top Bottom