Brown Sugar vs Sugar that is brown

That’s available all over Sydney & the inner suburbs as we have a huge Asian population (I think it’s the domain of the Viet or Thai community?) and it’s commonly either a stand alone business or incorporated into a bakery that sells banh mi.

My kids used to love to get a sugar cane fruit smoothie with Jack fruit, pineapple & kiwi or watermelon.

Delicious.
It's readily available this way, down in Canberra as well. Not that I've actually tried it mind you.

Technically, I stopped buying brown sugar simply because the next time that I want to use it again, it's already hard as a rock!! So I make my own in the amount that I need, using some regular sugar & molasses (the amount that you would use determines how light or dark that you want it). This helps to keep you from ever having to encounter brown sugar that has gotten too hard!! :whistling:

Brown sugar at the grocery store today:

E5A8E563-E319-4E7A-A50D-4586C2C100C3.jpeg

Technically, I stopped buying brown sugar simply because the next time that I want to use it again, it's already hard as a rock!! So I make my own in the amount that I need, using some regular sugar & molasses (the amount that you would use determines how light or dark that you want it). This helps to keep you from ever having to encounter brown sugar that has gotten too hard!! :whistling:

You can re-soften brown sugar... 5 Easy Ways To Soften Up Hard Brown Sugar

CD

I saw Mister Next Door Neighbor out front with some sort of bag of something or another and a HAMMER!
He was bagging away at this said bag on a big boulder in the yard.
I poked my head outside ... "Whatcha doin'?"
His reply, "this damn brown sugar is so hard I can't get a tablespoon full for my Oatmeal"
:laugh:

Brown sugar softeners..jpg

Thanks, caseydog! I also found THESE on Amazon. They come in different sizes & amounts. Just wash one in warm water, let it sit in warm water, then put it in a sealed container, with the hard brown sugar & it should soften it in a while. But I got an even better idea! Next time that I make candied yams, I'll just use the hardened brown sugar with them. The heat from the boing water with melt it!! I never throw it away because there's always some use for it!! :whistling:

Back
Top Bottom