The Late Night Gourmet

Home kook
Staff member
Local time
8:13 AM
Website
absolute0cooking.com
02f9430f-e7ff-45a4-9fae-06539975c5c4-jpeg.jpg

I don't remember making something before where I was so completely satisfied. I think I tend to think of salads as something basic that doesn't require much in the way of culinary chops. But, this changed my mind. The dressing has a nuttiness that works so well with the acidity of the lime. And, the dressing brought down the assertiveness of the Brussels sprouts. The balance is something I really love. I did say elsewhere that I regretted making such a large portion, because I wanted to use the dressing for another application. But, I don't regret having a lot of this salad. It's almost a coleslaw.

Ingredients

For the Dressing

5 Tbsp tahini paste
5 Tbsp fresh lime juice
1/2 cup water
4 Tbsp olive oil
2 garlic cloves, grated
1 tsp berbere
1 Tbsp ground sumac
1 cup kale, chopped

For the Salad

1 1/2 pounds Brussels sprouts, chopped
2 Granny Smith apples
1 large carrot, grated
1 red bell pepper, chopped roughly
black and white sesame seeds, to serving

Directions

1. Place all the salad dressing ingredients in a food processor. Process until smooth.

2. Slice Brussels Sprouts using a mandoline, avoiding the stems (and your fingertips). Peel apples, and spiralize the apples to create thin ribbons. Alternately, use a mandoline, discarding the core and any seeds. Cut apple ribbons in half if smaller pieces are desired.

3. Mix Brussels sprouts, carrots, bell pepper, and apple pieces together.

4. Add a portion of the dressing to the bowl and blend thoroughly. Check for coverage, and add remaining dressing if desired. Allow to chill in refrigerator for 30 minutes before serving. Sprinkle with black and white sesame seeds to serve.

I accidentally bought a huge bag of kale, so I was trying to figure out what to do with it and tried out your dressing. I made it with some quinoa salad and it was lovely. Really liked the sumac in it, and a great way to use up kale too!

Back
Top Bottom