Recipe Brusselskraut (Sauerkraut made with Brussels Sprouts)

The Late Night Gourmet

Home kook
Staff member
Local time
7:28 AM
Website
absolute0cooking.com
48770AA8-283F-4C90-B885-95A0DE5A20C5.jpeg

It's always fun posting a recipe that takes a least a week to complete. I will be replacing the main photo with a more representative one. The deadline for the recipe contest is in 10 days, and I plan to wait as long as possible before I open these jars. I expect it to look different by then due to fermentation.

This is a fairly simple recipe that relies on technique - and time - to execute. This same recipe can be used with cabbage, too. And, there are cool variations of the basic sauerkraut recipe, but this one is just the basic recipe, except for the (optional) addition of caraway seeds.

Ingredients

1 pound brussels sprouts
1 + 1 1/2 teaspoons salt (divided)
1 cup warm water
3/4 teaspoon caraway seeds (optional)

Directions

1. Shred the brussels sprouts. I used a mandolin set to 3 mm thickness. Break up any clumps by hand if desired. Toss 1 1/2 teaspoons of salt into the shredded sprouts. Wait 15 minutes.

2. Knead the sprouts by hand for a few minutes to blend the salt in more thoroughly. Some moisture will be released while you do this. If you use cabbage instead, there will likely be a noticeable brine that dribbles out. Stir in caraway seeds now if desired.

3. Press shredded sprouts into jars, allowing a few inches at the top of each jar. Dissolve 1 teaspoon of salt into 1 cup of warm water. Pour some brine into each jar.

NOTE: The next step is critical. Any sprouts that are not submerged will be exposed to air and run the risk of bacteria forming as it ferments.

4. Use a weight to press down the sprouts. I used jars that were small enough to fit into the main jars. I know that it's possible to use other heavy things, like rocks (boiled to disinfect first) inside a zipper bag, if you don't have anything else. I have read of others who use a thick slice of carrot or onion as the weight, which would add an interesting flavor. And, there are commercially available weights available, too. Place the weight inside the jar, and check to see where the water level is as it pushes down the sprouts. All the greens should be submerged. If necessary, add more brine. NOTE: I picked off that fleck of green that stuck to the jar and discarded it.

5. Seal the jars and leave them at room temperature for at least 2 weeks, or until the recipe contest ends, whichever comes first. If desired, seal the jars and allow to continue fermenting until it reaches the desired flavor, then refrigerate. After 9 days, it started to develop a krauty taste, but I want more. So, I’m sealing it up and waiting for more sour.

Last edited:
This is an amazing idea! what an inventive thought! I really like the idea of pickled brussels. Have you tried it before this challenge? (Sorry if I missed the in-post talk, if you might have mentioned it) I am so intrigued by the taste, how will it taste?
I was about to ask why do you need 1 cup warm water, but later in reading, I read it is the brine...so did you boil it and then cool it off or was it plain just warm from the start?

Back
Top Bottom