Burns Night

Is this a British/Scottish type of thing? I've never heard of it before, I don't even know what any of those foods are except for Haggis. I'm guessing tatties are potatoes? I can't even hazard a guess at the other one!

I know this is naughty but we try to convince people that haggis is a creature and that the Scots go haggis hunting, well they go grouse hunting so why not haggis.... some do fall for it, some for longer than others :D

I think of there is one thing I miss from my childhood it is square sausage, dumpling and tatty scones served with a fried egg... That dumpling was gorgeous... Fried of course like everything else and it and the square sausage had to come from one particular butchers in Glasgow...

We've bought home our Haggis!:hyper:
IMAG3268.jpg

Innocent looking chap, very friendly and trusting.:chicken:

Just need to figure out how to slaughter and gut it for cooking.:hungry:

I know this is naughty but we try to convince people that haggis is a creature and that the Scots go haggis hunting, well they go grouse hunting so why not haggis.... some do fall for it, some for longer than others :D

I hope you remember the bit about them having one leg longer than the other, to allow them to run round the slopes of hills. To catch one, you simply chase it back the other way, and it falls over.

I hope you remember the bit about them having one leg longer than the other, to allow them to run round the slopes of hills. To catch one, you simply chase it back the other way, and it falls over.

That is just cruel, some people are easy picking :laugh:

We've bought home our Haggis!:hyper:
View attachment 506
Innocent looking chap, very friendly and trusting.:chicken:

Just need to figure out how to slaughter and gut it for cooking.:hungry:

Gently stroke it's back and lull it into becoming sleepy then lay it on it's back to render it fully relaxed. Whilst relaxed put it into a pan of boiling water the shock will be enough.

Happy Burns Night, I know Rioja isn't a traditional accompaniment but neither of us like whisky

DSCN1561.JPG

We went a bit off piste and served a few peas with ours:

IMAG3270.jpg

We'll have a break to digest that, then I'll assemble the cranachan. A nice healthy mix or oats, yoghurt and raspberries. Well, the oats are toasted in butter and sugar, and the raspberries are soaked in sloe gin (haven't got any whisky), but the yoghurt is low fat...

(it should be cream, but NT can't have that due to lactose intolerance. Yoghurt, he can eat.)

We went a bit off piste and served a few peas with ours:

View attachment 508

We'll have a break to digest that, then I'll assemble the cranachan. A nice healthy mix or oats, yoghurt and raspberries. Well, the oats are toasted in butter and sugar, and the raspberries are soaked in sloe gin (haven't got any whisky), but the yoghurt is low fat...

(it should be cream, but NT can't have that due to lactose intolerance. Yoghurt, he can eat.)

We have salted caramel and chocolate slices for later

Back
Top Bottom