Recipe Buttermilk Buckwheat Pancakes

Mountain Cat

Veteran
Local time
5:53 AM
Website
goatsandgreens.wordpress.com
They're also gluten-free.

They are far superior if you add or another of the berries or banana inclusions, than if you serve them without.

This is a very old photo of mine, apologies for quality:

buckwheat-pancakes.jpg

Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes per skillet load
Rest Time: Not needed, but if you are making a lot and want everyone to eat together, cover and put them in a warming tray, or set the oven temp as low as possible, and keep them there until ready.
Serves: 3-4 people, depending on sides
Leftovers? Not after cooking, but you can reserve extra batter for a couple of days.

Buckwheat Buttermilk Pancakes
  • 1 cup buckwheat flour
  • 1 tablespoon sugar (I used a little less, and I used organic coconut cane sugar)
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1.25 cups buttermilk, shaken
  • 1 large egg
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • optional 1/4 cup of blueberries, cranberries (pre-steam these), strawberries (chopped), or banana (sliced and chopped).
  • Butter, for the cooking oil
  • Your choice of toppings. (I go with butter and a splash of real maple syrup)
Mix together by hand all the dry stuff in a large bowl.

Mix together by hand all the wet ingredients in a smaller bowl.

Add wet to dry, and mix that by hand, leaving some lumps. If adding fruit, add this in now.

Heat your skillet and when the butter or other oil you add to the skillet is hot – before the butter browns – add batter. I tend to like small pancakes as I find them easier to control. Flip when you start to see bubbles. Cook for another 2-4 minutes, checking to make sure the bottom side isn’t burning. A nice tan works fine.

Serve. Add toppings of your choice. I bring my butter to room temperature ahead of time, and I prefer to use that. As a New Englander, I like real maple syrup, but since I am NOT a sweet tooth, especially at breakfast, I just drizzle on enough for a bit of that maple taste. I do NOT bother with “flavored corn syrup”!

The following link takes you to my inspiration for this. I followed the pancake portion of the recipe pretty closely. Buckwheat Buttermilk Pancake recipe, from Cookie + Kate.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom