Buttermilk Marinade

abemail1

Local time
7:32 AM
Hi there,

We have, in the past, marinated chicken breast in buttermilk for making chicken burgers and the results were great.

I have recently seen someone on TV doing the same with squid.

My question is: Does buttermilk make a good tenderising marinade for all seafood and meats including prawns, lamb, beef etc?

Thank you

Welcome to Cookingbites abemail1. :welcome: If you have a moment, please introduce yourself in New to CookingBites?

Well, you know I'd never considered using it for seafood. Its an interesting idea. I'm sure it would work with lamb, beef etc. though. I've not tried using it with seafood, but why not?

Benvenuto abemail1,
I see recipe for cook Lamb in milk no sure buttermilk but imagine would work.
Sarana x

We cook a lot of seafood and have never heard of using buttermilk as a marinade. Most folks who eat shark, soak it in milk to offset the uric acid. Sharks urinate through their flesh.

This recipe uses buttermilk but not as a marinade:

Buttermilk Fried Shrimp

This one uses it as a marinade:

Buttermilk Fried Shrimp with Chipotle-Lime – Lost Recipes Found

Marinating the shrimp in buttermilk in the fridge is key! Let them steep for a minimum of four hours–but overnight is truly better. For a lower-fat/better-fat dipping sauce, go with olive oil or canola mayo, or, substitute thick, non-fat Greek yogurt. Look for the adobo-marinated chipotles in the ethnic foods section at the grocery store.

Back
Top Bottom