Buttermilk

I bought some real buttermilk in late July that comes from a local dairy. I used some of it to marinate chicken thighs about a week ago and it was a normal, thick consistency. Since that time, the remaining buttermilk has become very thick (due to the cultures, I imagine). I smelled and it is just fine, has a bright, tangy aroma like it should and it looks good. I would like to make some biscuits in a few days but there will still be some buttermilk left. I was wondering if I thin it out with a bit of regular milk it would continue to reproduce the cultures and thicken? I have read that buttermilk keeps well beyond the date on the carton (mine has a screw off lid so will stay even fresher) so I was hoping to keep it for at least another week or so to make pancakes or something else with. Anyone know about this?

Proja recipe with wrong ingredient milk, my wife and her Serbian mum use млаћеница or buttermilk.We also make muffin rather than squares, also we add the crackling and cheese to the mix with a bit of baking powder.

Mod.Edit: Recipe here: Serbian cornbread or Srpska proja

Last edited by a moderator:
I was wondering if I thin it out with a bit of regular milk it would continue to reproduce the cultures and thicken? I have read that buttermilk keeps well beyond the date on the carton (mine has a screw off lid so will stay even fresher) so I was hoping to keep it for at least another week or so to make pancakes or something else with. Anyone know about this?

I would leave it be - if you mix in other milk, it may change the fermentation process and may even halt it. Just mix some milk in before you use it if you need a looser consistency. As long as it smells bright and tangy its fine to use.

Back
Top Bottom