Buying local. What are your views?

I at least try to buy American. Most people probably just buy on price. Walmart is the country's largest retailer, and people love the low prices, but don't seem to care that everything is made in China.

For years, I only bought American cars. If I were in the market for a pickup truck, it would definitely be American truck. That's what we do best. But, my last seven cars have been European. The European brands just happened to have what I wanted -- there was no bias against American cars.

Some USA made products are a no brainer for me. All Clad pots and pans are the best, IMO, so it is easy to buy American in that case. Plus, they are products that will outlive me.

The people who make me want to slap them are the hypocrites. They tell politicians to "bring American jobs back," then go to Walmart and load their carts up with cheap Chinese crap.

CD
Agreed. For me, it is not just about where something is made, but how it is made. I always support local producers when I can, but given the choice between local product made in a factory, and an artisan produced foreign alternative I will go for the latter. I will always support small independent producers wherever they are when their prime focus is on quality, not profit. A sobering thought - it is said (I take this on face value) that more than half of the world's processed food comes from only ten companies. Their objective has nothing to do with your health and wellbeing, it's about selling the cheapest cr*p for the maximum profit. I'm sure most of us have enjoyed some of these, I know I have, but I really would rather eat stuff that has been produced with passion by someone who wants to make it the best it can be, not just the most profitable.

Yeah, I prefer to buy locally-sourced ingredients when possible, just for the freshness aspect if nothing else.

Same, locally when possible, international when not.

I buy as much organic (local) produce as I can, and specifically only Dutch meat and dairy. We're some of the biggest exporters in the world when it comes to meat & dairy, so buying local is not hard when it comes to these products.

But yes, like others mentioned, I wouldn't feel very happy without tea or spices. I hace a good stash of them too, in case a crisis comes.

When I saw local in the title, I took it literally to mean my neighborhood. From that standpoint:
  • I will always buy from a local farm before I'll buy from a supermarket. This is more from a selfish desire to get better quality (as some have said, supermarket vegetables look perfect, but don't taste the way they're supposed to taste).
  • I will also buy from a "mom and pop" market before I'll buy from a corporate market. This is more to support local businesses; I have always done this, even if it means paying a little bit more. I've seen too many small places closed as mega-corporations have come in. I saw Blockbuster video crush small video stores by lowering prices, then raising them once the small store closed. When Blockbuster shut down, I was particularly happy, but the damage as already done.
  • I will buy American whenever possible, but what does that really mean? As caseydog pointed out with Walmart, the company is American, but the products are from everywhere. A lot of times, the decision does come down to price. If I do have a choice, and the quality is what I want, I will pick the American-made product.
On the last point, I've been working for Ford Motor Company for over 30 years, so it's pretty obvious where my automotive loyalties lie. But, I have gained perspective on that point over the years. I used to get upset when someone decided to buy a product from another auto maker. I've since come to realize that we - Ford - needed to step up our game to do things better so people will want to buy our products. I can't blame anyone who bought vehicles from other countries in the 1980s and 1990s...our quality wasn't good, and we (American auto makers) had gotten complacent because we had so many decades of undisputed dominance. Competition is a good thing: as the water rises, all boats (or cars) rise.

When I saw local in the title, I took it literally to mean my neighborhood. From that standpoint:
  • I will always buy from a local farm before I'll buy from a supermarket. This is more from a selfish desire to get better quality (as some have said, supermarket vegetables look perfect, but don't taste the way they're supposed to taste).
  • I will also buy from a "mom and pop" market before I'll buy from a corporate market. This is more to support local businesses; I have always done this, even if it means paying a little bit more. I've seen too many small places closed as mega-corporations have come in. I saw Blockbuster video crush small video stores by lowering prices, then raising them once the small store closed. When Blockbuster shut down, I was particularly happy, but the damage as already done.
  • I will buy American whenever possible, but what does that really mean? As caseydog pointed out with Walmart, the company is American, but the products are from everywhere. A lot of times, the decision does come down to price. If I do have a choice, and the quality is what I want, I will pick the American-made product.
On the last point, I've been working for Ford Motor Company for over 30 years, so it's pretty obvious where my automotive loyalties lie. But, I have gained perspective on that point over the years. I used to get upset when someone decided to buy a product from another auto maker. I've since come to realize that we - Ford - needed to step up our game to do things better so people will want to buy our products. I can't blame anyone who bought vehicles from other countries in the 1980s and 1990s...our quality wasn't good, and we (American auto makers) had gotten complacent because we had so many decades of undisputed dominance. Competition is a good thing: as the water rises, all boats (or cars) rise.

On your first point, I would love to buy from local farms, but in North Texas, that means cattle ranches -- I don't need a live cow. The farms here all grow feedstock for cattle, such as hay/straw and feed corn, which is not good for human consumption. Oh, and cotton. So, farmer's markets here sell a lot of produce from all over the place, just like the supermarkets. There are some local items at the farmer's market in Downtown Dallas, but not enough, IMO.

On the second point. Mom and Pop stores are very scarce near me. As Frisco grew from 8,000 population in 1995, to 190,000 now, all the Mom and Pop businesses were kind of pushed out.

I completely understand where you are coming from on cars (and trucks). Sorry, but most of my trucks have been Chevys, with the exception of one Ranger (with the 4.0L V6), and one Explorer. I've had two Mustangs, a 1975 Mustang II -- the Pinto in Mustang clothing. That was a real POS. My second was a 1985 Mustang 5.0L. That was a sweet ride. It had some quality issues, but it made up for it in fun. I would love to have a 2020 Bullitt Mustang as a weekend fun car and track toy, but can't afford that right now. I'm digging the new Bronco, too.

CD

Nowadays, especially with shop-bought stuff, it's nearly impossible to "buy local."

Take hardware, like a hammer. If I need a hammer and I want to get it in town, I have three choices:

1. Walmart
2. Ace Hardware
3. Lowes

Walmart...it'll be a Chinese-made hammer, and it'll cost the least. Ace...it'll be the same hammer as Walmart, and it'll cost 20% more. Lowe's...I'll have a wider variety, and can probably find a higher-end American-made hammer, and it'll cost more than the other two hammers combined.

Walmart and Lowe's...giant corporations, but they employ locals, and a lot more than Ace, but Ace is franchised, so maybe that's "more local" than the other options, since I have a chance to deal with the owner of the store.

My car...designed in Italy, so I helped some Italians support their families...assembled in Mexico, so I helped some Mexicans support their families...with a Detroit-made engine, so I helped some Americans feed their families. I'm a-ok with that.

My car...designed in Italy, so I helped some Italians support their families...assembled in Mexico, so I helped some Mexicans support their families...with a Detroit-made engine, so I helped some Americans feed their families. I'm a-ok with that.

You are probably supporting several mechanics, too. :meh:

CD

Nowadays, especially with shop-bought stuff, it's nearly impossible to "buy local."

Take hardware, like a hammer. If I need a hammer and I want to get it in town, I have three choices:

1. Walmart
2. Ace Hardware
3. Lowes

Walmart...it'll be a Chinese-made hammer, and it'll cost the least. Ace...it'll be the same hammer as Walmart, and it'll cost 20% more. Lowe's...I'll have a wider variety, and can probably find a higher-end American-made hammer, and it'll cost more than the other two hammers combined.

Walmart and Lowe's...giant corporations, but they employ locals, and a lot more than Ace, but Ace is franchised, so maybe that's "more local" than the other options, since I have a chance to deal with the owner of the store.

Walmart and Amazon employees are both on the list of most employees receiving SNAP assistance (food stamps). So, you and I are subsidizing Walmart and Amazon profits, by paying for their employees to have enough to eat. Something to keep in mind when you shop.

As for products, like a hammer. I have multiple hammers, with multiple purposes. They all happen to be made in the USA. My dad gave me one back in the 1970s. My grandfather gave me his tack hammer that he had from who knows when. I bought one when I bought my first house, back in 1987. You get what you pay for.

CD

A couple years ago I did this experiment where I decided I'd only buy clothes and fashion accessories from portuguese brands. Truth is I buy new stuff not because I need it I just see something I really liked and I get it, so what if I can support local companies? The experiment lasted 1 year and then I gave up and went back to fast fashion. I don't know how it's like in other countries but a lot of the small portuguese companies are clearly amateurs when it comes to customer service, and you don't even need to spend any money to learn how to treat customers. Here are some examples:

- Shop is supposed to open at 10AM: It's 10:15AM and the door is still closed. I send them a Facebook message and the owner pops up, coming somewhere from the basement.
- Buying online: OK I like this dress I saw on Facebook but it doesn't say how much it costs, what sizes there are or shipping methods. So I send a private message to the store. Hours later they reply with the cost, sizes available and shipping method. I ask how can I order the dress. Hours later they reply I need to transfer the money and send them my address. I ask: What's the bank account number? Hours later they reply. Sometimes from the moment I've seen the address to the moment when I have all the info I need to make the purchase, it's been days, and maybe I've decided I no longer want that item after all!
- Buying online: store said the jumpsuit I bought was 100% cotton but it's a cheap polyester. I complain, and they say: OK send us back the item if you don't like it I can sell it to someone else!
- Buying online: I ordered and paid for a customized swimsuit. After I paid, there's silence from the company. 1 week goes by, 2 weeks, all my emails go unanswered! My messages on their instagram are deleted! One day I get a terse email: we sent you an email but just found out it got stuck in draft, somehow we forgot your order, we're short staffed but we'll take care of it. How about APOLOGISING to your paying customer?????????????
- Brand owner bought a 2€ tshirt and a 0,5€ bow from Aliexpress, glued them together and is selling the tshirt for 50€
- Brand is all posh and much loved by the fashion bloggers, their clothes are expensive and poor quality and they're selling for 60€ a dress I saw on Aliexpress for 12€ and trust me it's the same dress!

And the deal about local shops catering to customers better? Depends. In some stores either you're one of the old customers or you'd be ignored. Every time I go to the seamstress she's there chatting someone and I need to wait until she's done chatting before she even says hello to me.

I got to know some really good portuguese brands that I'm faithful to. And some of the companies I've had bad experiences with have (in some cases thankfully!) closed so far. But I get a lot less stressed out buying from Zara or Primark so that's what I'm back to!

A couple years ago I did this experiment where I decided I'd only buy clothes and fashion accessories from portuguese brands. Truth is I buy new stuff not because I need it I just see something I really liked and I get it, so what if I can support local companies? The experiment lasted 1 year and then I gave up and went back to fast fashion. I don't know how it's like in other countries but a lot of the small portuguese companies are clearly amateurs when it comes to customer service, and you don't even need to spend any money to learn how to treat customers. Here are some examples:

- Shop is supposed to open at 10AM: It's 10:15AM and the door is still closed. I send them a Facebook message and the owner pops up, coming somewhere from the basement.
- Buying online: OK I like this dress I saw on Facebook but it doesn't say how much it costs, what sizes there are or shipping methods. So I send a private message to the store. Hours later they reply with the cost, sizes available and shipping method. I ask how can I order the dress. Hours later they reply I need to transfer the money and send them my address. I ask: What's the bank account number? Hours later they reply. Sometimes from the moment I've seen the address to the moment when I have all the info I need to make the purchase, it's been days, and maybe I've decided I no longer want that item after all!
- Buying online: store said the jumpsuit I bought was 100% cotton but it's a cheap polyester. I complain, and they say: OK send us back the item if you don't like it I can sell it to someone else!
- Buying online: I ordered and paid for a customized swimsuit. After I paid, there's silence from the company. 1 week goes by, 2 weeks, all my emails go unanswered! My messages on their instagram are deleted! One day I get a terse email: we sent you an email but just found out it got stuck in draft, somehow we forgot your order, we're short staffed but we'll take care of it. How about APOLOGISING to your paying customer?????????????
- Brand owner bought a 2€ tshirt and a 0,5€ bow from Aliexpress, glued them together and is selling the tshirt for 50€
- Brand is all posh and much loved by the fashion bloggers, their clothes are expensive and poor quality and they're selling for 60€ a dress I saw on Aliexpress for 12€ and trust me it's the same dress!

And the deal about local shops catering to customers better? Depends. In some stores either you're one of the old customers or you'd be ignored. Every time I go to the seamstress she's there chatting someone and I need to wait until she's done chatting before she even says hello to me.

I got to know some really good portuguese brands that I'm faithful to. And some of the companies I've had bad experiences with have (in some cases thankfully!) closed so far. But I get a lot less stressed out buying from Zara or Primark so that's what I'm back to!

When it comes to clothing, I'm afraid the overwhelming majority of it is made in Asian countries, often in sweatshops. It is hard NOT to buy clothing from China. Some people don't even try...

Screen Shot 2017-02-03 at 10.52.38 PM.jpg

CD

You are probably supporting several mechanics, too. :meh:

CD
Actually, this has been one of the most reliable cars I've owned. The instrument cluster was replaced under recall, that was a pain, but closing in on 170K miles and nothing but wear and tear stuff, like brakes, and my (local!) mechanic likes working on it because it's a pretty simple design.

I'll have to tell the story about having a flat one day. That was hilarious (in retrospect).

like dude - mega serious clarifications required.

"Buy American/UK/German/French/Chinese/Liechtenstein " is a whole different issue than buying produce from a local farm stand.

like dude - mega serious clarifications required.

"Buy American/UK/German/French/Chinese/Liechtenstein " is a whole different issue than buying produce from a local farm stand.

It is a slightly confusing thread - the OP was about buying British post Brexit (not buying imported goods). Of course, local can mean different things in different countries. The US is a huge country and buying local can mean something very different than it might in the UK which is an island.

In a nutshell, the original question posed in this thread is 'should we support our own countries economy but buying goods made in our country rather than imported from other countries?'

yes, but the "broad" question only applies to hard goods.
you can buy a car made anywhere in the world at any time of the year.

Walmart did decades of sourcing from "the cheapest source" - typically China.
then WalMart went on a "Buy American" spree, and found out they had put all the American businesses supplying the products "out of business."
for a (few pennies per ton less) WalMart bought China; when they attempted to revert, there were no options.

I did consulting work during that period. I advised companies to eschew dependency on WalMart/Amazon/etc -
some listened - they still exist/operate - some seized the WalMart moment and are no longer in operation.
WalMart (largest retailer in the world...) contracts essentially entails a 10% wholesale price reduction every year, after year , , ,
nice idea, didn't work.

you cannot year 'round buy fresh asparagus spears from "local sources" - anywhere when out of season in your locale.....
as is for the entire localized food chain. some stuff is always available, some stuff is seasonally available.

the definition of "buy local" requires a definition.

I just get really turned off by governments, unions, commerce boards, manufacturers, etc tying "Buy <your country here>!" to patriotism, like you're some kind of traitor if you dare buy something made somewhere else.

Patriotism? Love of country? Hell, sounds more like emotional blackmail from an abusive partner to me: "Buy these shoes made in-country or...or...OR YOU DON'T LOVE ME ANYMORE!"

Back
Top Bottom