Recipe Cachitos (Ham-filled Breakfast Rolls)

karadekoolaid

Legendary Member
Local time
6:14 AM
Ingredients:
110 mls (1/2 cup) warm water
1 tbsp (1 sachet, 21 gms) dried yeast
1 tbsp sugar
500 gms all purpose flour
110 mls (1/2 cup) warm milk
100 gms unsalted butter, melted
1 egg, beaten
100 gms (1/2) cup sugar
1 tbsp salt
300 gms finely diced ham
100 gms finely diced bacon
1 egg, beaten (to paint the cachitos)

Method:
  • Mix the sugar, yeast and water together. Allow to rest in a warm place until the yeast is frothy.
  • Mix the flour, warm milk, butter, beaten egg, sugar and salt together in a bowl. Mix together with a silicone spoon, and when the dough comes together, with your hands, until you have a smooth, silky dough. Add a tiny bit more flour if the dough feels too wet.
  • Set the dough aside in a warm place for about 30 - 45 minutes, until it begins to rise.
  • Mix together the ham and the bacon.
  • Heat the oven to 395ºF (200ºC)
  • Once the dough has risen, divide into two parts. Keep one part aside. Roll the other part into a circle, like a pizza, so the dough is thin (about 1 mm).
  • Now cut the "pizza" in half, in quarters, and into eight pieces, as if they were pizza slices.
  • Mix the ham and bacon together. Take about a tablespoonful and put on the top part of the dough (the thick part). Fold over the sides and begin to roll the dough towards you, until you have something like a "croissant". Do all the cachitos the same way.
  • Beat the 2nd egg. Paint all the cachitos with beaten egg.
  • Generously oil the baking sheet and put all the cachitos on it. Bake for about 12 minutes, until browned.
    Cachito the dough.jpg
    cachito ham & bacon.jpg
    cachito filling and rolling.jpg
    Cachitos 12 minutes.jpg
    cachito half eaten.jpg

Have I missed something? What happens to the part kept aside?
Hahaha!! No - I missed it. Repeat the same procedure with the other half of the dough.
I did. The recipe made 17 cachitos, ALL of which have now been gobbled up. I´m going to have to make some more.
Since we´re all cachito connoisseurs, we all came to the conclusion that (a) the texture of the dough was spot on but (b) some were a bit too thick. We´re going to make a few more before Xmas and freeze them.
How long would you say the entire process took, about 2 hours or so from start to eat?
Probably 2 hours, yes. Making the dough is straightforward, (although I had to sprinkle a bit more flour on the dough because it was too moist) chopping up the ham is easy (I´d probably add a bit more to the original recipe); I´d say the toughest part is getting the filling into the cachito and rolling it up so they all look about the same.

Back
Top Bottom