Recipe Cajun blackened redfish

LissaC

Legendary Member
Local time
9:27 PM
310385554_629718751937911_2510484490747852288_n.jpg

(My apologies but I completely forgot to take a pic of the fish in the oven tray!)

- 4 red fish fillets
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon lemon pepper (I used a mix of fried lemon and herbs)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 + 1/4 cups lemon juice, one tablespoon white wine and a drizzle of olive oil (the original recipe had Italian seasoning but that's unheard of here in Portugal)
- Slices of lemon to garnish

1. Melt butter and let it cool to room temperature.
2. Coat red fish with the butter, then coat with the seasoning mix.
3. Heat oven to 180ºC. Heat a large skillet on the stove top.
4. Brown red fish on the skillet under high heat.
5. Put the fish in an oven tray, pour the lemon, wine, olive oil on it and a place one lemon slice on top of each fillet. Cover and roast, covered, for 30 minutes.

Happy cooking!

While that sounds and looks like a lovely dish, please don't call it Cajun Blackened because it's not!!

Chef Paul Prudhomme was the first to serve this in his restaurant and write up a recipe in the early to mid 1980s. The fish or chicken, or whatever other protein is used, is dipped in melted butter, covered in the spice mix (which is composed of very many), then seared in an EXTREMELY hot cast iron pan with a bit of butter on both sides. If the protein is thick and requires more than a couple of minutes on each side, then pan is removed from heat to allow the protein to finish cooking. There is no oven baking and certainly no liquid poured on it after the blackening has occurred since that may cause the blackened crust to dissolve and/or fall off.

The article at Blackened redfish and 9 other inspirational recipes from chef Paul Prudhomme gives the history of and the original recipe for Cajun Blackened Redfish.

Last edited:
While that sounds and looks like a lovely dish, please don't call it Cajun Blackened because it's not. Chef Paul Prudhomme was the first to serve this in his restaurant and write up a recipe in the mid 1980s. The fish or chicken, or whatever other protein is used, is dipped in melted butter, covered in the spice mix (which is composed of very many), then seared in an EXTREMELY hot cast iron pan with a bit of butter on both sides. If the protein is thick and requires more than a couple of minutes on each side, then pan is removed from heat to allow the protein to finish cooking. There is no oven baking and certainly no liquid poured on it after the blackening has occurred since that may cause the blackened crust to dissolve and/or fall off.

The article at Blackened redfish and 9 other inspirational recipes from chef Paul Prudhomme gives the history of and the original recipe for Cajun Blackened Redfish.
I didn't name the dish - that's name that's on the original recipe I got: Cajun Blackened Redfish Recipe

Well, I'm from cajun country, and I'd eat that. Besides, I can barely get "authentic" cajun food in Dallas, which is about 300 miles from cajun country.

Also, if I tried to make something authentically Portuguese, Lissa would probably have a good laugh. :laugh:

I've never cooked anything "blackened," I'm personally not a big fan. So, I can't really offer any advice.

CD

Back
Top Bottom