2 TB. cayenne pepper
2 TB. chili powder
2 TB. ground CUMIN
2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
1/2 tsp. salt
1 cup corn oil
Tabasco sauce to taste
Tartar sauce for dipping (optional)

Peel and devein the shrimp. Cut them into 1/2" pieces. Combine the flour, cayenne pepper, chili powder, cumin, black pepper and salt in a medium-size bowl. Heat oil in a large skillet.

Dredge the shrimp in the flour mixture, shaking off any excess. Fry them quickly over high heat until brown and crisp, occasionally adding a dash of Tabasco for spice. Drain on paper towels and serve immediately. Accompany with small bowls of tartar sauce. Makes 8 to 10 servings

Source: "The New Basics" Julee Rosso and Sheila Lukins - Palm Beach Post - Jan. 1990

Lots of lovely hot spices chilli flavour here which works well with cumin. Why are they called Cajun 'popcorn' ?

I've never thought about it, but it makes sense. It's said that legendary Louisiana chef Paul Prudhomme invented popcorn shrimp. "The practice of de-shelling and taking the tails off of very small shrimp became popular because they could be eaten by the handfuls." I can imagine eating handfuls of popcorn shrimp the same way I might eat handfuls of popcorn.

@cookieee: your way is easier than shelling and de-veining 2 pounds of small shrimp, and it looks like it achieves the same thing. Nice.

I've never thought about it, but it makes sense. It's said that legendary Louisiana chef Paul Prudhomme invented popcorn shrimp. "The practice of de-shelling and taking the tails off of very small shrimp became popular because they could be eaten by the handfuls." I can imagine eating handfuls of popcorn shrimp the same way I might eat handfuls of popcorn.

@cookieee: your way is easier than shelling and de-veining 2 pounds of small shrimp, and it looks like it achieves the same thing. Nice.

The Rusty Pelican salad we make actually called for small shrimp, but it is much easier to cut large shrimp into smaller pieces.

I remember having popcorn shrimp at Red Lobster in my mid teens. They were a favorite. That was about 45 years ago!

I like to eat my popcorn the same way I like my shrimp. Lots of BUTTER !!!! LOL

Back
Top Bottom