kaneohegirlinaz

Wannabe TV Chef
Local time
5:28 AM
Central/Northern AZ, gateway to The Grand Canyon
Website
mykitcheninthemiddleofthedesert.wordpress.com
[Mod edit: A number of posts moved to form a new topic (MG)]

I have been trying to get DH on board with RVing/Caravanning.
He's a big city boy and I'm a small town gal who's camp in all manner over the years. :wink:
We've been looking at different ones for probably 10 years, but I just could never get him to "pull the trigger".
Since the Covid Pandemic, I've slowly convinced him that this would be a much safer way to travel rather than road trips and hotels.
He told me to keep looking and if I could find one that fell into his desired price range, he'd do it.

GUESS WHAT?!

I found it!

Now I have just a few details to work out and then we'll be "on the road again, just can't wait to get on the road again" !!!!
:woot: :highfive::hyper:

Last edited by a moderator:
That’s something that’s never really appealed to me, but my in-laws did that for about three years after they retired, scouting out a permanent retirement location, and once they settled, they sold the RV.

When I married my first wife we were virtually broke (but with good prospects). I borrowed money from my mum and bought a 13 metre long 3 bedroom mobile home which we lived in and had transported around the country for 8 years. Runcorn, Doncaster, Blackpool, Scunthorpe, Lanark, Grassington, Plymouth, Broadway, Consett and finally Darlington where it was buried.

That’s something that’s never really appealed to me, but my in-laws did that for about three years after they retired, scouting out a permanent retirement location, and once they settled, they sold the RV.
Well, I guess we've worked in the opposite direction :laugh:
We found our retirement location many years prior to retirement, bought it, rented it out as a vacation rental and now want to RV :hug:

Well got damn it all !!!
The "market" took a nose dive today, down 1000 points, diesel gas is at $5.50/gal USD, the political climate is in upheaval and DH is now against buying an RV!
He said that maybe come January, we could maybe start this whole process again, but in the mean time I should continue to look :wacky: WHY?!
🤬💩 I'm beyond (add the cruse word of your choice) P.O.'d
I was this close 🤏 gosh dang it all!!!!

Well got damn it all !!!
The "market" took a nose dive today, down 1000 points, diesel gas is at $5.50/gal USD, the political climate is in upheaval and DH is now against buying an RV!
He said that maybe come January, we could maybe start this whole process again, but in the mean time I should continue to look :wacky: WHY?!
🤬💩 I'm beyond (add the cruse word of your choice) P.O.'d
I was this close 🤏 gosh dang it all!!!!
Yeah, yesterday was a big day, made lots of money, today I lost a good bit of it. It's painful watching my retirement dwindle.

Additionally, I feel your pain about not getting things you really want--I wanted a pool and I didn't care if it was an "above ground" redneck type pool, I just wanted hubby to agree to remove some trees from our heavily forested backyard so I could get some sun and swim in it during the summer, then take it down after Labor Day. Nope. Even when I showed him a reminder picture of what I looked like when I met him (I was living in Florida in a beach resort town)--fit, tan and toned--nope.

Last edited:
We used to take kids camping when they were young. Our son bought last year a caravan $36k their kids love it a lot. Ive never felt the need to buy a van. Although lookiing at his it has all the fancy gear, shower and toilet etc. And great cooker. Hes just bought a boat now. Lord knows how they all plan to get away on holiday??

Russ

We used to take kids camping when they were young. Our son bought last year a caravan $36k their kids love it a lot. Ive never felt the need to buy a van. Although lookiing at his it has all the fancy gear, shower and toilet etc. And great cooker. Hes just bought a boat now. Lord knows how they all plan to get away on holiday??

Russ
Yeah, well hopefully they'll figure that out. Special memories

Russ

My camping has all been in tents, or in one of my two Teardrop Campers. I've posted the second one before, and here is the first one. Basically, a bed chamber and a galley for cooking. Mine were air conditioned for Texas summer use.

auditeardrop001.jpeg

I've owned four boats and a SeaDoo, as well. But not at the same time as the Teardrops. I have tent camped on remote sites on Lake Texoma from one of the boats. Campsites you can only get to by boat. That was fun.

CD

My camping has all been in tents, or in one of my two Teardrop Campers. I've posted the second one before, and here is the first one. Basically, a bed chamber and a galley for cooking. Mine were air conditioned for Texas summer use.

View attachment 84848

I've owned four boats and a SeaDoo, as well. But not at the same time as the Teardrops. I have tent camped on remote sites on Lake Texoma from one of the boats. Campsites you can only get to by boat. That was fun.

CD
We used to tent on sites without power. First tent I bought was biggest you could get, a coleridge, after first time camping there were 3 other tents same as mine. I took my tent back and had 15 ft added on with veranda. I always had the biggest then.lol.
I have to have the biggest. :)

Russ

We used to tent on sites without power. First tent I bought was biggest you could get, a coleridge, after first time camping there were 3 other tents same as mine. I took my tent back and had 15 ft added on with veranda. I always had the biggest then.lol.

Russ

I'm just the opposite. I wanted small, so I can set up and be drinking a beer in fifteen minutes.

Owners of big motorhomes would sometimes slip over to my teardrop without their wives seeing them, and tell me, " I wish I could set up that fast." :laugh:

CD

Russ
Btw we camped at Quinnys bush before they got powered sites. Huge area in bush with toilet blocks that you shoved wood on fires to heat the water. How to loo and stoke the fire. Farmer used to came around at night and tow kids behind his tractor fitted with a metal bar with ropes behind it. Kids sat on sacks s he towed them I bet they dont donit now. ?? I had a shower unit powered by the sun to heat water behind our tent. Great times

Russ

I'm just the opposite. I wanted small, so I can set up and be drinking a beer in fifteen minutes.

Owners of big motorhomes would sometimes slip over to my teardrop without their wives seeing them, and tell me, " I wish I could set up that fast." :laugh:

CD
I have a friend with a t bucket he built. After he built it he built a tear drop unit like yours as well.
My tent btw took about 20 mins to set up. I even had a 4 1/2 in tv that ran off my car battery.

Russ

I have a friend with a t bucket he built. After he built it he built a tear drop unit like yours as well.
My tent btw took about 20 mins to set up. I even had a 4 1/2 in tv that ran off my car battery.

Russ

The teardrop itself just had to be disconnected from the car. The rest was the setting up the chairs and stuff.

My tent is 7' X7', but is a bit cumbersome to set up alone. It takes a good fifteen minutes. But, it is very strong. I've been through 60 MPH winds in West Texas a few times without an issue, other then the wind noise being unbearable.

My backpacking tent took about ten minutes, tops. It weighed 2.4 pounds. My ex-wife and I could sleep comfortably in it. We even had room for "activities" in the tent.

CD

The teardrop itself just had to be disconnected from the car. The rest was the setting up the chairs and stuff.

My tent is 7' X7', but is a bit cumbersome to set up alone. It takes a good fifteen minutes. But, it is very strong. I've been through 60 MPH winds in West Texas a few times without an issue, other then the wind noise being unbearable.

My backpacking tent took about ten minutes, tops. It weighed 2.4 pounds. My ex-wife and I could sleep comfortably in it. We even had room for "activities" in the tent.

CD

When camping in Dunedin ( 5 hrs sth) we left tent to have tea at pizza hut. There was a storm that we saw in town, went back to find out tent blown over with other campers trying to put it bach together as a mini cyclone went through, we got the tail of it.
Back to normal a few hrs later. Kerosene lamp blew over everything smelt horribly for a while.

Russ

When camping in Dunedin ( 5 hrs sth) we left tent to have tea at pizza hut. There was a storm that we saw in town, went back to find out tent blown over with other campers trying to put it bach together as a mini cyclone went through, we got the tail of it.
Back to normal a few hrs later. Kerosene lamp blew over everything smelt horribly for a while.

West Texas is notorious for sudden windstorms. Palo Duro Canyon is really bad. I had my tent set up once, and the ground is hard as rock, so I had to use weights instead of stakes. I also had a big cooler full of food, beer and ice inside -- about 50 pounds. A sudden windstorm rolled through the canyon, and my tent rolled through the campground like a tumbleweed. I had to chase it and stop it. Nothing broke, but food, ice and beer were scattered all over the inside of the tent. I tied it to the car when I got it back to the campsite. :laugh:

Panoramic shot of Palo Duro Canyon -- about five shots put together in Photoshop.

Palo Duro Panarama-1500W.jpg

CD

Back
Top Bottom