Can you use chopsticks well?

cupcakechef

Veteran
Local time
2:06 PM
Japan (expat by way of Australia and USA)
How proficient are you (if at all!) with chopsticks?

I would say I'm pretty good with them. We lived in Asia for a few years as a result of my husbands work, and prior to living there I literally had no clue how to use them. I'd tried before briefly, but would always hold them wrong and give up pretty fast.

Once we were living in Asia though, and we were scheduled to be there for a few years, I figured I'd have to learn. So many restaurants only have chopsticks - you don't have the luxury of a knife and fork as a fall back! When they were my only option it was somewhat forced learning - but I learned pretty fast once I got the right grip!

I would say my chopstick skills are adequate, but could definitely improve. Funny story that goes along with this: yesterday my little family actually found ourselves all activity free around noon, so the four of us had a rare midweek lunch together. We went to a sushi restaurant and halfway through the meal I realized my daughter, who is 11, was really doing a great job using the chopsticks. I even commented on how well she was doing and asked how she learned to use them so quickly. That's when she showed me her trick: she never separated the two sticks!

I've never used chop sticks. I can just imagine what would happen. I'd end up with more food on my face and down the front of my clothes than in my mouth. :laugh:

I have never used them. I need to get some lessons. I saw some girls here using them and they stood out as it is almost never seen around here. I reckon it was a display of skills many here don't possess and likely not interested in possessing.

Yes, I can use them very well. But every time that I'm at a Chinese restaurant, I forget to ask for them!! :mad::headshake::stop:

I can certainly use chopsticks but always get annoyed by how little you can pick up. I'm not keen on using them to eat rice at all - far too fiddly!

Gok Wan did a cooking programme and promised he could teach anyone to use them no he can't :headshake:

Chopsticks are so very easy to use, and most people blow them out proportion when they say 'it's too hard.'

All you have to do is hold one as the 'plant' chopstick (usually the bottom, unless experienced enough) like a pencil or writing utensil. Then you hold the other one above it but drop it down at angles to pinch the food with. Instead of stabby stab with a fork/spoon/knife it takes some practice and finesse. Everytime I'm at the local chinese buffet, I use chopsticks. I don't know why it's just more natural to me then a fork when it comes to food of that nature.

I've never used chop sticks. I can just imagine what would happen. I'd end up with more food on my face and down the front of my clothes than in my mouth. :laugh:
I tend to be a clumsy eater. Even when eating with a knife and fork I manage to drop or spill food down my front. My husband is frequently pointing out a smear of something or other on my face. Thank goodness for Oxi Clean Stain Remover. We buy it in large jugs. So no, I have had no success with chopsticks. Ever. At all. I just can't get the hang of it, but I greatly admire those of you who have the knack.

The truth is, I have never used chopsticks perfectly. Am used to eating using my bare hands or using a spoon. Am taking this as a challenge and am going to be trying it out. I can attribute that to lack of interest. Maybe it is because I never got used to themwhen I was young.

I am a pro at using chops sticks. As a little girl , I learned to properly use them and enjoy eating with chop sticks. I have several pairs in my silverware draw in different patterns that I have collected. Those cheap bamboo chop sticks are the worst , I prefer the ones made of wood , plastic or stainless steel.

Back
Top Bottom