Can you use chopsticks well?

Some 20 years ago, Japanese businessmen were having a grand time in our country with the business and pleasure style of working. Japanese companies were springing like mushroom. With that, Japanese food started getting popular. That was the time that I first handled chopsticks. It was not easy especially if you are conscious of the people around you in the restaurant. What I did was to buy our own set of chopsticks when we went to Hongkong and learned by myself the proper use. Now I am quite adept with chopsticks.

No offence to anyone but what is the point ? The food tastes the same and they are no more efficient [possibly less so]. If you must use them to 'enhance' the experience then by all means do so but I ask only this - IF, when they were first used the people had had knives and forks as an option would they have bothered with them ?

It was quite a challenge for me learning how to use chopsticks. When we go to restaurants that are about Japanese or Chinese cuisine, we can not help it but use chopsticks. I do not enjoy the experience of eating when I can not use a simple tool or utensil like a chopstick. My friend told me to position my fingers as if I were holding a pen and go from there. I think that was the most helpful trick I learned.

I've never imagined that I can use chopsticks in my life. When I was still single and is still living in my mother country I remembered when we are eating in a Japanese and Chinese Restaurant I am always having a hard time using chopsticks and one time I had fell it while we are eating. And I am really very ashamed. But now that I am married to someone whose culture uses chopsticks in their everyday life I had learned it already in my years of stay in their country. That is why I may say that I am quite good in using chopsticks already.

I grew up in a Chinese family, but I always either used a fork or my hands as a kid. I could never get the hang of picking things up, and my mum would just tell me that I needed to practise and develop my hand muscles. It took me 10 years :oops:

I have never mastered the use of chop sticks. I have attempted a few times in the past but always ended up frustrated.
My grand daughter who is 7 always insists on using them when we are having any type of Asian Cuisine. She is really]
very good at it. She started using them when she was about 4 years old so she is quite the pro now. She is still trying
to teach me how to use them. Maybe someday I will figure it out.

Yes, I am very good with chopsticks. I can even break up food with them if the piece of food is too big. I grew up using them almost every day with supper so if you start when you are little you can get very good with them at an early age. I prefer wood ones to the plastic ones you get in restaurants. They even have a starter chopstick for kids with the tops connected. My husband who is white has even learned to use them quite well and our children are both getting proficient with using them.

I can say that I have tried to use it a lot of times in a Chinese and Japanese restaurant and I was able to use it normally. But i'm not really sure if I used it the right way. I really want to know how to use chopsticks because I think it's cute. I've seen some Korean actors and actresses use chopsticks in eating rice, I think that's pretty awesome. I can't even sandwich a dimsum using chopsticks very quickly. I have to slowly move the chopsticks to my mouth so that it will not fall.

I own a few wooden sets and am pretty decent at using them. However, some of my friends who used to live in Asia put my chopstick skills to shame. 0_0

I eat with chopsticks quite often, and not just for Asian food. I carry some in my bag when I go to work because they are so versatile. When I evacuated after hurricane Katrina I took some with me then as well as I didn't know where I was going to be or if I would need a utensil - fortunately I was able to hitch a ride to a relative's home and didn't end up stranded someplace.

Back
Top Bottom