Canadian Bacon

Rocklobster

Legendary Member
Local time
5:05 PM
Here's a little journey we can go on together..it will take a few days, but hopefully it will be worth it. Pork loins were on sale today. This beauty was 11 dollars so I couldn't resist...I am going to make Canadian Bacon, or, as we call it here in Canada, Back Bacon...In the brine tonight where it will stay refrigerated for two days. I'll put a plate on it to weigh it down so it stays completley submerged..
Saturday night I'll take it out and dry it up and leave it sit on a rack, uncovered, in the fridge until the next morning..then, on Sunday, it goes in the smoker at 225 F until the internal temperature reaches 150 F...after that, back in the fridge again until Monday..Then, slice it up, shrink wrap and freeze it in portions..leave a few pieces out for a sandwich or with eggs....wish me luck

Last edited:
I need to dig out my gammon sort of and make something with it.

I like curing and smoking our own stuff since we know exactly what is in it. Best thing is, it's really not hard and the ingredients aren't expensive.

Can't wait to see your Canadian bacon Rock

Last edited:
I need to dig out my gammon sort of and make something with it.

I like curing and smoking our own stuff since we know exactly what is in it. Best thing is, it's really not hard and the ingredients aren't expensive.

Can't wait to see your Canadian bacon Rock
Yes..Once you, learn the basics and get going with smoking and curing it becomes as natural as any type of cooking..It's just a matter of planning ahead. A smoker isn't even neccessary as I could just as well do this pork low and slow in the oven..although, it wouldn't be the same, but it would still be a treat..

It's been a fun filled day and thankfully, I remembered the pork loin before going to bed..Here it is after 48 hours in the brine..it has been rinsed in cold water and dried with paper towel...in the refrigerator over night and I will smoke it at some point tomorrow...

I make my own Canadian bacon... eh? Sorry, couldn't help myself.

I have never wet brined mine. I've only done a dry cure. I'm anxious to see how yours works out.

CD

It's been a fun filled day and thankfully, I remembered the pork loin before going to bed.. it is after 48 hours in the brine..it has been rinsed in cold water and dried with paper towel...in the refrigerator over night and I will smoke it at some point tomorrow...
I started setting an alarm on my phone for when I do things like this, like when things need to be turned over in a brine/marinade, or it's time to wash off a cure and smoke, etc. Don't have to worry about remembering that way.

Back
Top Bottom