Hemulen

Woof-woof
Local time
9:58 PM
Capesante e bacche di ginepro
kampasimpukat_7.jpg

(Thawing overnight), preparation 15 – 20 min
Serves 2 - 3

Pardon my Italian. I had such a wonderful scallop starter in Lucca two years ago that I want to name this dish in Italian. The appetizer in the old town was flavored with lemon, herbs and anchovy sauce; this is my own recipe. Scallop isn’t my favorite shellfish but it’s distinct in flavor and earns experimentation. In my opinion, sweetish scallops benefit from the bitterness of juniper berries.

Sauce ingredients (Hollandaise variant)

4 egg yolks
Zest of 1 lime, shredded
1 teaspoon strong mustard
1/4 – 1/2 teaspoon salt (depending on whether the butter is unsalted or not)
1/2 jalapeño pepper, cut into shreds
1,5 dl (approximately 150 g) of melted, hot butter

Put the egg yolks, lime zest, salt and shredded jalapeño in a blender and mix. Melt the butter carefully in the microwave or on the hob. Restart the blender and pour the melted butter slowly in until the mixture looks smooth. You can do this by whisking vigorously by hand, too. Pour into a pitcher and cover with foil.

Thaw the scallops in the fridge overnight, (if frozen). Pull the tiny, chewy side muscles out if they’re still attached. Rinse the scallops lightly and pat-dry thoroughly. Let them drain wrapped in kitchen paper/paper towel for 10 minutes before cooking.

Scallops

8 - 10 frozen or fresh prepared scallops
20 juniper berries, crushed in mortar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon dried roasted onion flakes
2 tbsp macadamia nut oil or evoo

Mix the juniper berries, salt, onion flakes and oil in a bowl and turn the scallops over in the mixture. Brown the scallops on high heat in 2 tbsp oil for a minute or two on each side until they brown slightly and turn opaque.

kampasimpukat.jpg

Serve with pea shoots, deskinned mandarin/tangerine segments and a glass of Prosecco. Serve the sauce in a pitcher for self-dosage.

kampasimpukat_8.jpg

Last edited:
Capesante e bacche di ginepro
View attachment 48117

(Thawing overnight), preparation 15 – 20 min
Serves 2 - 3

Pardon my Italian. I had such a wonderful scallop starter in Lucca two years ago that I want to name this dish in Italian. The appetizer in the old town was flavored with lemon, herbs and anchovy sauce; this is my own recipe. Scallop isn’t my favorite shellfish but it’s distinct in flavor and earns experimentation. In my opinion, sweetish scallops benefit from the bitterness of juniper berries.

Sauce ingredients (Hollandaise variant)

4 egg yolks
Zest of 1 lime, shredded
1 teaspoon strong mustard
1/4 – 1/2 teaspoon salt (depending on whether the butter is unsalted or not)
1/2 jalapeño pepper, cut into shreds
1,5 dl (approximately 150 g) of melted, hot butter

Put the egg yolks, lime zest, salt and shredded jalapeño in a blender and mix. Melt the butter carefully in the microwave or on the hob. Restart the blender and pour the melted butter slowly in until the mixture looks smooth. You can do this by whisking vigorously by hand, too. Pour into a pitcher and cover with foil.

Thaw the scallops in the fridge overnight, (if frozen). Pull the tiny, chewy side muscles out if they’re still attached. Rinse the scallops lightly and pat-dry thoroughly. Let them drain wrapped in kitchen paper/paper towel for 10 minutes before cooking.

Scallops

8 - 10 frozen or fresh prepared scallops
20 juniper berries, crushed in mortar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon dried roasted onion flakes
2 tbsp macadamia nut oil or evoo

Mix the juniper berries, salt, onion flakes and oil in a bowl and turn the scallops over in the mixture. Brown the scallops on high heat in 2 tbsp oil for a minute or two on each side until they brown slightly and turn opaque.

View attachment 48115

Serve with pea shoots, deskinned mandarin/tangerine segments and a glass of Prosecco. Serve the sauce in a pitcher for self-dosage.

View attachment 48116

I really like this recipe
Just out of curiosity: I was thinking to marinate scallops in the bowl with juniper b, oil, onion flakes and salt. Have you ever tried this? I have no idea how it might be, but this idea keeps bouncing in my mind

^ Nope, I wouldn't marinate scallops for more than 30 minutes because they easily loose their firmness and tear apart. I wouldn't add salt in the marinade as they're naturally salty; just a pinch for a quick marinade (1-2 minutes) or a sprinkle on the pan.

^ Nope, I wouldn't marinate scallops for more than 30 minutes because they easily loose their firmness and tear apart. I wouldn't add salt in the marinade as they're naturally salty; just a pinch for a quick marinade (1-2 minutes) or a sprinkle on the pan.

Ok perfect, thank you 👍
Right, I also think that is better not to marinate them for mire than 30 mins

Back
Top Bottom