Serves 3-4, Preparation 20 min, Cooking approx. 50 min
- ½ kg medium-large red or golden onions
- 1 clove of garlic
- 40 g coarsely chopped peeled almonds
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon powder + a pinch
- 1 tablespoon apple vinegar
- 3 tablespoons EVOO - Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 300 ml hot vegetable broth
- Ground black pepper, a pinch
- A pinch of salt
Coarsely chop the almonds, set aside.
Peel and slice the onions. In a saucepan, wilt the onions in 3 tablespoons of EVOO along with the garlic clove, all over low heat for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Add a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar, the chopped almonds (keeping some aside for garnish later), the cinnamon powder, the hot vegetable broth that have to completely cover the onions, add a pinch of salt. Bring to the boil, then lower the heat and simmer with the lid on for about 30 minutes or until the broth is almost absorbed.
Sprinkle with a pinch of ground black pepper and again with a pinch of cinnamon powder, scatter the peeled chopped almonds set aside previously and serve with a few slices of stale bread.
Note: there is also a version where grated Pecorino cheese is added at the end. If you like the idea, why not?