Recipe Carabaccia Fiorentina- The Ancient Florentine Onion Soup with Cinnamon and Almonds (Leonardo Da Vinci's favourite)

MypinchofItaly

Forum GOD!
Local time
7:17 AM
Website
mypinchofitaly.co.uk

Serves 3-4, Preparation 20 min, Cooking approx. 50 min

• ½ kg medium-large red or golden onions
  • 1 clove of garlic
  • 40 g coarsely chopped peeled almonds
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon powder + a pinch
  • 1 tablespoon apple vinegar
  • 3 tablespoons EVOO - Extra Virgin Olive Oil
  • 300 ml hot vegetable broth
  • Ground black pepper, a pinch
  • A pinch of salt

Method

Coarsely chop the almonds, set aside.

Peel and slice the onions. In a saucepan, wilt the onions in 3 tablespoons of EVOO along with the garlic clove, all over low heat for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Add a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar, the chopped almonds (keeping some aside for garnish later), the cinnamon powder, the hot vegetable broth that have to completely cover the onions, add a pinch of salt. Bring to the boil, then lower the heat and simmer with the lid on for about 30 minutes or until the broth is almost absorbed.

Sprinkle with a pinch of ground black pepper and again with a pinch of cinnamon powder, scatter the peeled chopped almonds set aside previously and serve with a few slices of stale bread.

Note: there is also a version where grated Pecorino cheese is added at the end. If you like the idea, why not?

May I know what vegetable broth you use? Is it a homemade one, can/carton or cube pls? Thanks

May I know what vegetable broth you use? Is it a homemade one, can/carton or cube pls? Thanks

I usually make my own veg broth (carrot, onion, celery, herbs and pepper in grain as base) I prefer it and it’s quite a sort of automatism, however using the stock cube it’s a nice alternative. I have no experience about that one in can/carton.

Last edited:
I usually make my own veg broth (carrot, onion, celery, herbs and pepper in grain as base) I prefer it and it’s quite a sort of automatism, however using the stock cube it’s a nice alternative. I have no experience about that one in can/carton.

A good stock cube (or I use Better Than Bouillon stock paste) is better than the stock in cans or cartons, IMO. I only make my own stock if it is for something big, like a large pot of gumbo. Just cooking something for myself, the stock paste makes more sense.

CD

A good stock cube (or I use Better Than Bouillon stock paste) is better than the stock in cans or cartons, IMO. I only make my own stock if it is for something big, like a large pot of gumbo. Just cooking something for myself, the stock paste makes more sense.

CD

We are both on the same line of reasoning. If/when I cook just for myself, I use stock cube to hot water. Or even I use granulated one sometimes.
But nothing beats the homemade one. When leftover, I soak in some stale bread, cheese and here it is a dish.

Back
Top Bottom