Caregivers’ chat

When I was a young teen I used to unintentionally emulate my mother’s behaviour and she was prone to occasionally being really quite unreasonable. This was known throughout the family and we’d just disappear until it was over.

One day I was having a childish tantrum about something that wasn’t going the way I wanted it to and my then 10 year old brother looked me dead in the eye and said “What we would give to see ourselves as others see us” he then looked directly at my mum and back to me with a perfectly timed dramatic pause said “…and you can” 😂

Changed myself forever after that 😆

Last edited:
Here’s another “you just gotta laugh” stories.

Brother #4 went out to see Mom & Dad. Mom wouldn’t let him in the room - “Brother #3 is in there sleeping on the floor.”

Then, she gave him a dollar, telling him,” Your dad has stranded the car in the woods, so I can’t go to the Walmart, so you just take this money and get yourself something with it.”

She handed him a giant black-and-white joke dollar, with a dog’s head in place of Geo. Washington’s, from a game that they play there at the facility.

Here’s another “you just gotta laugh” stories.

Brother #4 went out to see Mom & Dad. Mom wouldn’t let him in the room - “Brother #3 is in there sleeping on the floor.”

Then, she gave him a dollar, telling him,” Your dad has stranded the car in the woods, so I can’t go to the Walmart, so you just take this money and get yourself something with it.”

She handed him a giant black-and-white joke dollar, with a dog’s head in place of Geo. Washington’s, from a game that they play there at the facility.

That's surreal.

I haven't posted a lot lately. My wife had a stroke 3 days ago and is hospitalized. She can't speak or use much of her right side. I make two visits to the hospital each day and still have all my work and all her chores to do so I've found myself in a time whirlwind. I haven't cooked anything interesting and haven't been to the supermarket. Today I ate an Arby's Gyro for lunch on the way home from the hospital and a bagel with cream cheese and an assortment of veggies for dinner. Hopefully I can back on track soon.

I haven't posted a lot lately. My wife had a stroke 3 days ago and is hospitalized. She can't speak or use much of her right side. I make two visits to the hospital each day and still have all my work and all her chores to do so I've found myself in a time whirlwind. I haven't cooked anything interesting and haven't been to the supermarket. Today I ate an Arby's Gyro for lunch on the way home from the hospital and a bagel with cream cheese and an assortment of veggies for dinner. Hopefully I can back on track soon.

One day at a time is all I can say. Thinking of you both.

Russ

I haven't posted a lot lately. My wife had a stroke 3 days ago and is hospitalized.
Very sorry to hear that, some of us on here have been through that. Just take one thing at a time and don’t get overwhelmed.

Best wishes for your wife - let us know how she’s doing if you want to share.

So sorry to hear this. Don't worry about anything except making sure you get enough sleep and enough to eat. That way you will be able to cope and look after your wife. I know this first hand...

All best wishes, blades.

So sorry to hear this. Don't worry about anything except making sure you get enough sleep and enough to eat. That way you will be able to cope and look after your wife. I know this first hand...

All best wishes, blades.
Good advice that I have given myself to no avail. Since her stroke I haven't had more than 2 hours of sleep per night and my diet has turned from fun to basic sustenance. Nothing today yet except a muffin and coffee at the hospital. A couple of my sisters are coming to visit and help me out. One of them is a better cook than I am so there is promise on the horizon. I'll get a shopping list from her we'll celebrate some good cooking. Thanks for the kind words.

Good advice that I have given myself to no avail. Since her stroke I haven't had more than 2 hours of sleep per night and my diet has turned from fun to basic sustenance. Nothing today yet except a muffin and coffee at the hospital. A couple of my sisters are coming to visit and help me out. One of them is a better cook than I am so there is promise on the horizon. I'll get a shopping list from her we'll celebrate some good cooking. Thanks for the kind words.
I finally had a meal that I squeezed in between company emails and the upcoming cat feeding time. A serving of mozzarella cheese grits topped with two fried eggs. It wasn't a gourmet delight but it did fill the stomach and provide some calories.

A couple of my sisters are coming to visit and help me out. One of them is a better cook than I am so there is promise on the horizon. I'll get a shopping list from her we'll celebrate some good cooking. Thanks for the kind words.

Good that you have family to help out. Try to relax a bit now. There isn't much you can do at the moment to help your wife if she is till in hospital. Obviously being there for her helps but other than that you need to rest and be at your best. I know its easily said...

Back
Top Bottom