Caregivers’ chat

Good that you have family to help out. Try to relax a bit now. There isn't much you can do at the moment to help your wife if she is till in hospital. Obviously being there for her helps but other than that you need to rest and be at your best. I know its easily said...
Yes but I can't help going to the hospital. I have a lot of work to do so I make a morning trip and then another trip in the afternoon getting my work done between visits and at night. She had a visit from some of her family members today and that cheered her up.

Yes but I can't help going to the hospital. I have a lot of work to do so I make a morning trip and then another trip in the afternoon getting my work done between visits and at night. She had a visit from some of her family members today and that cheered her up.

If it were me, I do a once a day trip and make it count. Two trips a day is wearing.

If it were me, I do a once a day trip and make it count. Two trips a day is wearing.
Yes but it allows me to make the visits shorter and put some time in between to get other things done. I'm drawn to the hospital. I really don't want to go anywhere else currently. I still have a business that needs tending and her chores added to mine so time is becoming very precious.

Yes but it allows me to make the visits shorter and put some time in between to get other things done. I'm drawn to the hospital. I really don't want to go anywhere else currently. I still have a business that needs tending and her chores added to mine so time is becoming very precious.

Fair enough. You must do what works for you. Any idea how long she will be in hospital?

Fair enough. You must do what works for you. Any idea how long she will be in hospital?
It is just a matter of days. We are waiting for the staff to work out the details to move her to a recovery facility where they will begin acute therapy. They have been waiting to watch for progress, something important to get insurance approval. She is saying a few random words, answers questions more readily with yes and no and even moved her disabled right arm a little. It isn't a lot but apparently enough to take the next step. The goal is to get her home within 90 days. So the process is in play.

My caregiver days are just a few days ahead. My wife is being discharged from the rehab facility on Friday and one of my sisters arrives the same day to help me get started. My wife still can't walk without help or hold a conversation but has shown steady improvement since day one. The neurologist suggested that it should take about 3 months for her to get to 90% recovered. She is still in her first month. Wish me luck.

My caregiver days are just a few days ahead. My wife is being discharged from the rehab facility on Friday and one of my sisters arrives the same day to help me get started. My wife still can't walk without help or hold a conversation but has shown steady improvement since day one. The neurologist suggested that it should take about 3 months for her to get to 90% recovered. She is still in her first month. Wish me luck.

I wish you the best of luck. The good thing is they are predicting 90% recovery. Also, its great she is showing steady improvement. However difficult things are, hang on to that. I have the opposite here. Is there an opposite to rehab? Well, at any rate, he gets steadily worse. The good thing is he still knows who I am and doesn't seem to realise he has dementia so he is not distressed.

My wife is being discharged from the rehab facility on Friday
Hey, that's really good news!
Just as an aside: the lady who lives next door to my mum's house had a big stroke, about 2 years ago. The docs put her on a fairly demanding physio routine.
When I left in April, she was walking to the supermarket all on her own and had taken up bowling again.
Time is a great healer. Stick in there.

Hey, that's really good news!
Just as an aside: the lady who lives next door to my mum's house had a big stroke, about 2 years ago. The docs put her on a fairly demanding physio routine.
When I left in April, she was walking to the supermarket all on her own and had taken up bowling again.
Time is a great healer. Stick in there.
The neurologist said that 90% of stroke victims gain 90% recovery in 90 days. Only two months to go if true. I'm planning 2 to 3 hours per day working on rehab. I've spent the last two weeks watching the therapists so I have a small clue about what to do. I have bought her a wheelchair, a walker and a gait belt to help.

I wish you the best of luck. The good thing is they are predicting 90% recovery. Also, its great she is showing steady improvement. However difficult things are, hang on to that. I have the opposite here. Is there an opposite to rehab? Well, at any rate, he gets steadily worse. The good thing is he still knows who I am and doesn't seem to realise he has dementia so he is not distressed.
Dementia doesn't get better as far as I know. Brain damage from a stroke usually gets better. My wife has some vascular dementia as well but not enough to be debilitated by it. The stroke, on the other hand is very debilitating. That dementia was likely caused by some minor strokes she has suffered in the past. We'll just deal with it. There is no other option.

It certainly does. But surprisingly I've been able to teach him how to do few things. They are simple tasks which he would have known how to do before.

My dad can't do much of anything now. He's wheelchair bound. He can feed himself, but wearing a bib because he doesn't always get everything in his mouth.

But, the important thing is that he still knows who we all are. :okay:

CD

My dad can't do much of anything now. He's wheelchair bound. He can feed himself, but wearing a bib because he doesn't always get everything in his mouth.

But, the important thing is that he still knows who we all are. :okay:

CD
Actually that is really good. Steve knows who I am but doesn't recognise our son or daughter who he sees every week.

Well it looks like I’ll be joining this thread every so often as my Dad received a letter from one of my mums friends worried about her mental state (dementia), he rang her to be regaled with horror stories of her forgetfulness.

My Dad it appears has basically washed his hands of it stating they’re not married so legally there is nothing he can do.
I’m certain this is because he thinks he can put it all on me.

It is going to be difficult as he is the only one she is likely to listen to and anytime I’ve tried to suggest she see’s a GP about memory loss she becomes extremely aggressive.
She also really does not like me one bit and dementia is unlikely to erase that memory for some time. That alone is going to make things impossible.

I’m considering fleeing so one of my brothers will have to step up but tbh I don‘t think they will, they in common with me are not at all fond of her.

Tricky isn‘t it. What are you supposed to do for a parent you don’t have any love for who doesn’t want you about?!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom