Recipe Caribbean-Style Orange Juice Rice

mjd

Veteran
Local time
11:24 AM
TastyReuben, here's another orange recipe I like. I don't care for sweet foods for dinner/supper but will make it sometimes. Simple and Yummy ;-)

Caribbean-Style Orange Juice Rice​

Servings: Serves 6-8
Source: Globaltableadventure.com

INGREDIENTS​

4 cups orange juice (fresh), with pulp
2 cups white rice
2 Tbsp butter
orange zest , for garnish

DIRECTIONS​

First step?
Juice a mountain of oranges or… keep it simple and use O.J. from the bottle (with pulp, please).
Next, melt some butter in a medium saucepan and stir in the rice. Cook several minutes over high heat until the rice is very hot.
Meanwhile, season with salt and pepper. Don’t be shy! How much salt you add makes the difference between flat rice and rice nirvana.
Next, pour on the O.J. If you warmed the rice long enough, it will sizzle and sputter as the liquid hits the hot grains. Bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook until all the liquid is absorbed. This will take longer than regular rice because we made it with O.J. instead of water. Mine took 25+ minutes, but cooking times may vary.
When you return, uncover the rice, fluff and serve with a little grated orange zest or perhaps a sprinkling of green onion, cilantro, or thyme.

I don't care for sweet foods for dinner/supper but will make it sometimes. Simple and Yummy ;-)

Is this sweet? There is no sugar in it. I'm interested in making this but it seems to me this is a savoury recipe especially as it recommends serving with green onion and cilantro (coriander).

Reactions: mjd
Is this sweet? There is no sugar in it. I'm interested in making this but it seems to me this is a savoury recipe especially as it recommends serving with green onion and cilantro (coriander).
It's not overly sweet. I usually always cut the sugar in most recipes so I notice it in foods with sweet ingredients. Does that make sense?

Back
Top Bottom