Recipe Carrot, Courgette and Mung Bean Tangle

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
2:50 PM
Ok, so I used the spiraliser! :dance:Its just a cheap hand-held device but it works a treat. So this is spiralised courgettes and carrots with sprouted mung beans. Courgette salad needs a punchy dressing, so I used miso paste as a base. If you don't have any you could use a tablespoon of soy sauce and add a little honey for 'body'. I marinated the courgettes overnight. They release a lot of water and will shrink to less than half the original volume. You don't have to do this but it does tenderise the courgette. If you want to make up the salad ahead of time then it is essential - otherwise your salad will be sitting in a pool of water!

IMGP1310.jpg

Photographed today in daylight.

Ingredients (serves 1 as a main course or 2 as a side)

1 large carrot (peeled if you wish)
1 large courgette
Juice of a lime
A handful of sprouted mung beans*
1/2 tsp sesame oil
1 tbsp vegetable oil
1/2 tsp miso paste
White sesame seeds and salted peanuts to sprinkle

Method
  • Spiralise the courgette, Mix with 1/2 the lime juice, cover and leave overnight or for 3 hours. Drain off the water which will collect and squeeze as dry as possible.
  • Spiralise the carrot.
  • Mix the miso paste with the rest of the lime juice then add the oils, whisking with a fork to make the dressing.
  • Toss the carrot, courgette and sprouted mung beans in the dressing.
  • Sprinkle with sesame seeds and peanuts.
* Sprouting mung beans is easy! Put a layer of beans in a shallow container and add water to barely cover them. Wait for 3-4 days adding a little water each day.

IMGP1313.jpg

Last edited:
Yummy, yummy. I am a sucker for the images. I see some recipes that call for the spiralizer. Unfortunately I don't own one or if I do, I don't know. It would have to be something that has been sitting in a cupboard for ages. I'd be one to have to use soy sauce as I don't have miso paste. Sure looks great though. How'd you get that background to the picture?

Yummy, yummy. I am a sucker for the images. I see some recipes that call for the spiralizer. Unfortunately I don't own one or if I do, I don't know. It would have to be something that has been sitting in a cupboard for ages. I'd be one to have to use soy sauce as I don't have miso paste. Sure looks great though. How'd you get that background to the picture?

I bought the spiralizer from Amazon for a few pounds - I'll dig out a link. The background is a black glass worktop saver (a toughened glass board). It is problematic in certain conditions as it obviously produces reflections - but if I get it right it produces a jet black background. The quest to find a pure white background continues...

Last edited:
Maybe I will pick up one on my next trip unless I find it at a good price around here. Some things are not worth ordering online and paying the freight and duties. Truth is I was saying I am done with gadgets but I like the end result of the spiraling:).

Maybe I will pick up one on my next trip unless I find it at a good price around here. Some things are not worth ordering online and paying the freight and duties. Truth is I was saying I am done with gadgets but I like the end result of the spiraling:).
Its a bit of fun but I honestly hardly use it. If you are into eating raw vegetables its probably worth getting one.

Back
Top Bottom