Cauliflower rice - opinions?

Urnyrto

Local time
2:26 PM
I think it's a proper place to ask this, soo... My wife found this recipe of cauliflower rice : How To Make Cauliflower Rice (4 Ways) and now pushing me to cook it. It sounds like healthy food but... Something tells me that it might be not worthy of time and ingridients. Any advice on that?

Last edited by a moderator:
Cauliflower rice has been around for ages now - its even sold ready made in UK supermarkets. Its cheap enough to make yourself and really doesn't take much time. Is it healthier? Depends what is meant by heathy. It has less calories than rice and a different set of nutrients. Is it worth doing? I suggest you try it. Its much lighter than rice. I don't mind it - but would prefer to eat cauliflower as a vegetable rather than pretend its rice. Rice itself is a pretty healthy food.

I made some once when we happened to have part of a head leftover and was looking for something to make for dinner. It was good. DH thought the cauliflower rice was couscous at first.

I love cauliflower rice! Super filling, low calorie, fiber, vitamins, etc. Mixes well with regular/brown rice. The only problem they don't sell it pre-packaged where I live :( And making it is pretty annoying, cauliflower pieces are all over the whole kitchen. And then it freezes into a big lump.

Never tried cauliflower rice although its name sounds a bit weird to me… so is it basically crumbled cauliflower that after this looks like rice? I wonder why not to call it as it really is, namely “crumbled cauliflower” :scratchhead:or alike?

It's a popular low-cal replacement for regular rice, hence the name. Also "rice" sounds more delicious. Also "crumbled" - does not really tell how exactly it looks like.

Never tried cauliflower rice although its name sounds a bit weird to me… so is it basically crumbled cauliflower that after this looks like rice? I wonder why not to call it as it really is, namely “crumbled cauliflower” :scratchhead:or alike?
It became popular in the early 2000 in the "paleo" world as a replacement for rice and because it replaced rice it took on that moniker much like vegans when they call something cheese or meat. It's marketing for low calorie as well because not only isn't it a starch and a grain and the main reasons why paleo adopted it but it's also low calorie by default and people believe it's a good replacement for rice, but it's not, not even close, it's just cauliflower.

> it's a good replacement for rice, but it's not

If you mix it with rice, it's almost unnoticeable and still much less calories than in the same pure rice portion.

I'm not a fan of cauli rice but its easily available from supermarkets in the UK. You can get it frozen or fresh. To me it simply tastes of cauliflower and anyway, I love real rice! There is also a way of making it into a pizza base. That doesn't exactly fill me with joy.

This is an example of supermarket frozen:

Back
Top Bottom