Caviar - an acquired taste?

JAS_OH1

Forum GOD!
Local time
10:20 AM
[Mod.edit: posts moved to form a new topic (MG)]
I've only ever eaten flying fish roe and salmon eggs, and I didn't like the salmon eggs. I have heard of expensive caviar like beluga, but never tried it. Is it good?

Last edited by a moderator:
Caviar? An acquired taste, I suppose. There was a time here in the 80s/90s, when Venezuela was an OPEC superpower and there was loads of cash flying around, when there´d be caviar everywhere. I distinctly remember a wedding where we were served Beluga caviar and Cristal champagne all night long. Personally, I like it, but no way can I afford the stuff!
Supermarkets used to stock Salmon roe, trout roe and a (German?) version of caviar which was way cheaper. Blinis with salmon roe are delicious - just the right balance.
Visits to the beach here often included mullet roe. Pretty cool, but again, you either like or hate it.

I've only ever eaten flying fish roe and salmon eggs, and I didn't like the salmon eggs. I have heard of expensive caviar like beluga, but never tried it. Is it good?

I've had caviar that was pretty pricy. It was okay. It all depends on what it is served on top of. By itself it is pretty briny.

CD

Absolutely adore it - but its so expensive that its an occasional treat. I usually use other fish roe. Here lumpfish caviar and I made a fancy parsley foam.

I love caviar and can tell you precisely how much of it I've eaten in my life: 40g (alright, slightly less, because the second time I let my younger son try it - he loves it too!).

I had a 10g taster at Hong Kong airport one time and that set me up to know that I Iove the stuff. I think that was about $20.

I had a 30g jar for my birthday last year which was around $60 USD equivalent IIRC.

Both times were Russian, mid-range sturgeon varieties i.e. not Beluga or Ossetra or whatnot. I'd love to try those someday, but I'm not that rich.

Taste? A creamy unctuousness, reminiscent of smoked salmon but milder. Hints of the sea. Delicious.

I did a fair bit of reading on it a couple of years back - while traditional producing countries such as Russia, Iran continue to please discerning palates around the world, apparently a lot of decent caviar is coming out of China now believe it or not, and it is getting very good reviews.

I think of caviar and roe as a sort of condiment, something that you either spread on things, or top things off with. It's something that is added on. So, when you rate it, or consider it, you need to be alert to what it goes good with, what in combination, sets off the taste buds in just the right way. I don't think just eating a teaspoon of caviar would be a very common thing to do, except to taste it by itself as a first time, or to test it out for flavor.

I think of caviar and roe as a sort of condiment, something that you either spread on things, or top things off with. It's something that is added on. So, when you rate it, or consider it, you need to be alert to what it goes good with, what in combination, sets off the taste buds in just the right way. I don't think just eating a teaspoon of caviar would be a very common thing to do, except to taste it by itself as a first time, or to test it out for flavor.

Believe me, I eat it on its own.

[Mod.edit: posts moved to form a new topic (MG)]

Yes it's delicious but expensive, very expensive for the good stuff. Personally I don't see the value. It had to be done though.
?hash=4cdeed9e4f7c054200fc81c3db6bd565.jpg
20190928_132931.jpg

20190928_132908.jpg

We've gotten Russian ossetra and sevruga at the place where we get fresh truffles and foie gras. Pretty much serve the traditional way with either homemade or bought blinis, HB eggs, creme fraiche, chives or very finely chopped red onions. They taste like what I expect fish eggs to taste like, very rich and a little goes a long way for me. Right now, they are selling sevruga at $83 for an ounce and $76 for the ossetra, both Russian. Domestic and Chinese are both cheaper, but I've never had either, though I've heard the domestic is pretty good.

We usually get some escargot too since we really like the White Toque brand they sell. They are frozen with a fantastic herb and garlic butter already stuffed in them and ready to pop in the oven.

Black summer truffles are going for $75 for 4 ounces right now, may take a drive over that way now that I know they have them. Usually we get an email that they have them but didn't this time.

Oh we get the tiny orange flying fish roe at the Asian market sometimes when we make sushi. It's pretty inexpensive.

We don't get caviar at a restaurant. I refuse to pay the mark up.

I had some while in cooking school. I thought it was good, but I wasn't wow-ed. I personally prefer Foie Gras or Truffles, when it comes to luxury items. I recall the first time I had a scallop with truffle on top, that definitely wow-ed me.
I'm with you. I've had fois gras once, and it was the most wonderful single thing I have ever had. I would love to try it again - every day perhaps, but my conscience says no.

I've had caviar that was utterly superb. I assume it's what would today be called 'the good stuff' altho I have no idea what the cost/kg, etc,,, was....

as mentioned in earlier posts - there's a _lot_ of "caviar" aka fish roe/eggs being marketed/sold today which really is not of the same caliber/quality of 'the old really good stuff'\

I don't know that price is the issue - but I do know that "caviar is caviar" is not a true statement....

I think I tried caviar once. Have no clue where and in what occasion,in Russia or Bulgaria? Long time ago, but I can remember the texture in my mouth. Taste do not remember.

However, until seeing this thread, it did not cross my mind to taste it again, or read sbout it, or research. It really is not that important or impressive to me. But I do understand how it may be and is a treat.

Foie gras is absolutely stunning, I remember being mesmerized by it. My Grandma had a friend who gifted us some, long time ago. Never had it since, do not crave it.

Truffles pretty much the same, we were on a team building I think, and had them in a traditional Istrian restaurant, good but never in my dreams for whatever reason.

I might be impressed with high quality salmon, love salmon, but I doubt salmon falls within lux? If it does, that's my choice.

Not that it compares, but can't wait to try cashew butter and almond butter🤩.

Back
Top Bottom