Recipe Chakunder Gosht (Lamb & Beetroot Curry)

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
8:11 AM
Beetroot gives this lamb curry a dramatic colour and thickens the sauce. The slightly sweet earthy beetroot taste works well with the tender lamb. Mango powder is an important spice here - its acidic flavour offsets the sweetness of the beetroot. You could substitute tamarind paste if you can’t obtain mango powder.

Ingredients (serves 2)
300 - 350g lamb neck fillet
1 heaped tbsp plain yoghurt
1 tbsp ginger & garlic paste)
A pinch of salt
1 medium onion
1 tbsp ghee or oil
6 cardamon pods
1 small stick of cinnamon
1/2 tsp coriander seeds
5 cloves
1 Indian bay leaf
5 small dried Kashmiri chillis (or use ground chilli to taste)
1 heaped tsp mango powder
150g grated raw beetroot
100 ml water
Salt to taste
Plain yoghurt or kefir to serve

Method
  1. Cut the lamb into large chunks (it shrinks in size when cooked) and place in a bowl with the yoghurt and ginger/garlic paste and a pinch of salt. Turn well to coat the lamb and leave to marinate for an hour or longer if you wish.
  2. Roughly chop the onion and fry gently in the ghee or oil until it becomes translucent. I use a flat bottomed wok which is large enough to contain the whole curry.
  3. Add the spices and fry over a higher heat for 10 to 15 seconds.
  4. Add the lamb with its marinade, the beetroot and approximately 100ml of water. Mix everything together well.
  5. Allow to simmer very gently for 40 minutes or until the lamb is completely tender. Add more water as it cooks, if the sauce dries out. Add salt to taste.
  6. Serve topped with yoghurt or kefir. I also added some poppy seeds and onion seeds fried in oil until they began to pop, as a topping.

Beetroot gives this lamb curry a dramatic colour and thickens the sauce. The slightly sweet earthy beetroot taste works well with the tender lamb. Mango powder is an important spice here - its acidic flavour offsets the sweetness of the beetroot. You could substitute tamarind paste if you can’t obtain mango powder.

View attachment 36358

Ingredients (serves 2)
300 - 350g lamb neck fillet
1 heaped tbsp plain yoghurt
1 tbsp ginger & garlic paste)
A pinch of salt
1 medium onion
1 tbsp ghee or oil
6 cardamon pods
1 small stick of cinnamon
1/2 tsp coriander seeds
5 cloves
1 Indian bay leaf
5 small dried Kashmiri chillis (or use ground chilli to taste)
1 heaped tsp mango powder
150g grated raw beetroot
100 ml water
Salt to taste
Plain yoghurt or kefir to serve

Method
  1. Cut the lamb into large chunks (it shrinks in size when cooked) and place in a bowl with the yoghurt and ginger/garlic paste and a pinch of salt. Turn well to coat the lamb and leave to marinate for an hour or longer if you wish.
  2. Roughly chop the onion and fry gently in the ghee or oil until it becomes translucent. I use a flat bottomed wok which is large enough to contain the whole curry.
  3. Add the spices and fry over a higher heat for 10 to 15 seconds.
  4. Add the lamb with its marinade, the beetroot and approximately 100ml of water. Mix everything together well.
  5. Allow to simmer very gently for 40 minutes or until the lamb is completely tender. Add more water as it cooks, if the sauce dries out. Add salt to taste.
  6. Serve topped with yoghurt or kefir. I also added some poppy seeds and onion seeds fried in oil until they began to pop, as a topping.

View attachment 36360

View attachment 36361

Looks great and I’m very intrigued about mango powder!

Back
Top Bottom