Cheap BBQ portable.

rascal

Forum GOD!
Local time
10:47 PM
i don't know if any of you guys have access to cheap gas powered bbqs. Ours is an 18 inch cast iron round plate with 3 legs and cost us $80. The gas bottle was about $25. It takes up no room in the car, we got ours for Xmas bbqs at the beach on our holidays, but with beautiful weather here yesterday we took it to a reserve with grandkids. Kids love sausages in bread. Simple as and cheap as. Easy clean up.

Russ

We have a couple of portable gas BBQs (they weren't that cheap tho!).

We've had a Cadac Carri Chef for years (an older version of this one)
8910-30-Carri-Chef-BBQ-Skottel_180425_135628.jpg

We bought it when we used to go tent camping because it is so versatile, but now its used in the back garden for those times when its not worth getting the proper charcoal BBQ out. I need to get a new gas regulator though because we're currently using butane which doesn't gas off very well when the weather is cold. I do have a spare propane bottle in the garage but of course butane and propane bottles have different attachments :(

The Carri Chef packs away but is still pretty large, so we now take a Safari Chef away with us in the motorhome:
6540-Safari-Chef-LP.jpg

It packs up into a really small carry bag but because it doesn't have long legs you need to either use it on a table top or sit down whilst you're cooking. Its really versatile though so the short legs are a compromise worth making. We don't carry a separate gas bottle for this one, we just plug it into the motorhome's gas system.

Those are grills. BBQ is low and slow using wood smoke. Don't own any gas grills. Gas is only used for my cookers for crawfish boils and steaming crabs. Yes I am a BBQ snob!:thankyou:

Stovetop.jpg
Stovetop Smoker..jpg

These are used indoors, but they are true smokers that use wood chips to give food cooked in them that true authentic Smokey flavor & taste that people love in bbq'd meals!! :wink:

Those are grills. BBQ is low and slow using wood smoke. Don't own any gas grills. Gas is only used for my cookers for crawfish boils and steaming crabs. Yes I am a BBQ snob!:thankyou:

You're right, Craig!!
In order to smoke meat or veggies, you need wood or wood chips to do it. Those units pictured at the top of this page don't cut it.

There is no wood used, meaning that there is no smokey flavor or taste. As we all know, if you smoke meat or veggies, you need wood or wood chips to do it with. :wink:

Last edited:
What's a Jumbo Smokey Joe look like? In any case, I probably couldn't use it indoors. :wink:

No you can't use it indoors unless you have a tremendous ventilation system that vents outside.

@CraigC is quite correct. I'm afraid that in the UK our BBQ'ing skills are pretty appalling, largely due to the unreliability of the weather. Supermarket burgers and sausages, cremated over a gas grill are the norm over here.

Many people in the US still think grilling is BBQ. I don't understand using gas grills, gas does not impart the flavor that even charcoal briquettes produce, with lump hardwood charcoal being even better. Heck I even through some wood chunks (dry) on the charcoal when grilling certain meats and vegetables.

@CraigC is quite correct. I'm afraid that in the UK our BBQ'ing skills are pretty appalling, largely due to the unreliability of the weather. Supermarket burgers and sausages, cremated over a gas grill are the norm over here.
Yes, unfortunately this is true but I always take a load of sardines to bbqs.

Back
Top Bottom