Recipe Cheesy Bacon Brussel Sprout Casserole

Local time
6:11 AM
I've been far to delinquent and even though I am no sprout lover I feel obligated to summit a recipe. I went in search of a recipe and came across one I might attempt when I put my hands on some Brussel Sprouts. Excluding the sprout, I'd be happy with the other ingredients.

shutterstock_342503552-942x628.jpg

Serves 8-10

Ingredients

• 2 pounds brussel sprouts, halved (fresh or frozen and thawed)
  • 1/2 pound bacon, crumbled
  • 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, grated
  • 1 cup fontina cheese, grated
  • 1 cup heavy cream
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
  • 1/2 teaspoon fresh thyme, minced
  • kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 400º F.
  2. Toss brussel sprouts in olive oil and season generously with salt and pepper. Place them in a large baking dish and roast for 15-20 minutes, or until semi-softened.
  3. While brussel sprouts are roasting, cook bacon in a large pan or skillet over medium-high heat until crispy.
  4. Drain off fat and add garlic. Cook for 1-2 minutes, or until fragrant, and season with fresh thyme.
  5. In a large bowl, whisk together eggs and heavy cream, then stir in cheeses.
  6. Remove brussel sprouts from oven and add 3/4 bacon and garlic to the baking dish. Pour cheese mixture over the top and stir everything together, then top with remaining bacon.
  7. Reduce oven temperature to 350º, return baking dish to oven and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until cheese is bubbly and just set.
  8. Remove from oven and let cool 5 minutes before serving.
Recipe adapted from Serious Eats

Source: http://12tomatoes.com/

Enjoy like some people would say.

In my case I have to find them first raw or thawed. The Xmas traffic has me thinking I won't be going to the Supermarket anytime soon looking for hard to find ingredients. Around here only certain supermarkets carry things like sprouts.

They used to taste quite bitter - particularly to some palates (apparently its genetic) but this taste has been mostly bred out of them. They are really miniature cabbages...
Ever since we were talking about them here I have been thinking to get some and not for a smoothie. When I found this recipe, I figured this is something I could definitely try.

Back
Top Bottom