Recipe Cheesy potato fritters (competition entry)

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
11:16 AM
DSCF2258.jpg

This is a competition entry for the challenge set by @SatNavSaysStraightOn: An ingredient 'a week' competition
I hope on not going to be the only entry. Surely others of you must have potato recipes! Deadline is 14th Nov.

Cheesy potato fritters
I first made a these as a simple potato fritter for a good friend whose mother had grown up in the North-East of England. He remembered her making potatoes dipped in batter and fried, as a treat when his friends came round. In fact, it was the only recipe she ever made and they lived on dreary tinned food, pork pies and chips from the chip shop the rest of the time! I'd never heard of potatoes cooked in batter but I experimented until I came up with something which seemed to work. This version incorporates a cheesy filling. They are good served with a chutney or pickle. Here, they are pictured with my home-made Blueberry Sauce.

Ingredients:

2 medium/large potatoes. You can use any kind of potato. I used floury potatoes.
100g / 3/4 cup flour
1 large egg (beaten)
150ml / just over 1/2 cup milk
Mozzarella cheese (I'm sure you could use other types of melting cheese).
Oil for frying

Method:
  • Tip the beaten egg, milk and flour into a bowl and beat at high speed with a balloon whisk (or use a mixer)
  • The mixture should form a thick batter. If you have a few lumps, it doesn't matter. Ideally, leave the batter to rest for 30 minutes (I didn't!)
  • Cut the potatoes in half length-wise and boil until cooked through.
  • Drain and leave until cool enough to handle.
  • Carefully cut into discs or ovals of about 1cm thick (1/3rd inch)
  • Sandwich the cheese between two discs/ovals of potatoes. The cheese should be about the same thickness as the potato slices (1 cm).
  • Heat oil until a drop of batter cooks quickly. I used about 2 cm of oil in a frying pan and turned the fritters once one side was golden but you could also deep fry them.
  • Dip the potato 'sandwich' into the batter and fry until golden.
  • Drain on kitchen paper.

Last edited:
Looks good. Now all you need to do is enter it into the competition by posting a link to it in the competition thread! (Oh and the deadline was 14th November.... but at this rate it could well be December and you would still be the only entrant!)
Silly me! I knew it was 14th November but wrote December. Have now edited it. Also there is a typo in the title but it seems we can't edit titles?

Back
Top Bottom