Chestnuts

...and we have a similar problem with emerald ash borers, in our area, at least.

There are lots of recipes around which add chestnuts to Brussels sprouts (often plus bacon) for Christmas dinner. I rather like my sprouts nude. But chestnuts in stuffing for turkey or other poultry is lovely.

There is also a great vegetarian festive recipe for chestnut, stilton & mushroom pie which I have somewhere. A good vegetarian alternative for Christmas dinner.

Chestnuts , can't say I've ever seen them sold here. Can't say I know anyone with s tree either?? That pic of the guy selling roasted looks like I would like them.

Russ

In season we can buy Chinese chestnuts (which are generally roasted) and water chestnuts which are generally stir fried.

I love chestnuts and if i went far enough back in time on here, I'd find pictures of huge bags of them that I'd pick from the side of the road or old railway line we used to live along. I've often eaten them and made soups from them, roasted them and so on. I love them. I can't get enough of them. Thankfully they are easily available here both fresh and jarred plus the unsweetened puree is available year round along with vacuum sealed chestnuts, but fresh is my preferred.

I think waitrose in the UK do them frozen as well. They did when we left back in 2016.

When we lived near to Guildford, there was a street vendor there that sold roasted chestnuts.

Are these more or less the same as the ones we get in the UK? They look quite similar.

From my recollection of chestnuts in the UK they are almost the same taste and consistency.

Chestnuts , can't say I've ever seen them sold here. Can't say I know anyone with s tree either?? That pic of the guy selling roasted looks like I would like them.

Russ
Chestnuts

According to Eatwell, they're quite common in NZ - rascal: your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to find some NZ chestnuts (though you may have to wait until March)! :)

Elm trees were wipe out here by Dutch elm disease, but scientist developed new species of elms that are resistant to the disease -- I have one in my front yard.

But, I guess they haven't been able to do the same with chestnuts -- yet.

CD

The American Chestnut Foundation is trying to re-introduce American chestnuts into this country. By backcrossing, making as much of the original genome show through as possible. I have a few chestnut saplings out in the proverbial "back forty" which I hope will help this process. They won't provide nuts for some years from now, assuming my saplings have the genetics to do this.

Back
Top Bottom