Recipe Chicken cafriela

LissaC

Legendary Member
Local time
11:08 PM
334990177_115495538054063_7201899426295356816_n.jpg

This dish is typical from Guinea-Bissau, but I tweaked the recipe a bit, to tone down the spiciness.

- 1 chicken cut in pieces
- salt to taste
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 10 dried small chilis (the original recipe called for 10 malagueta peppers, sliced)
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 5 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 1 cup water
- 1 tbsp butter

1. Season chicken with salt, add the chilis, the garlic, the lemon juice, the olive oil and half the sliced onions. Let chicken marinate 2-3 hours.
2. Transfer chicken and marinade to a cooking pot. Add 1 cup of water and cook in medium-low heat, covered, around 30 minutes.
3. Remove chicken pieces and roast them in the oven at 200ºC, 15- 20 minutes. Alternatively, grill the chicken pieces.
4. Add remaining onion slices to the marinade and cook over medium heat, 20 minutes. Close to the end of the 20 minutes, add 1 tbsp butter.
5. Remove chicken from the oven, return it to the marinade and mix.

Happy cooking!

I guess about the spice! The substitutions are bird peppers, cayenne or serrano peppers.

I guess about the spice! The substitutions are bird peppers, cayenne or serrano peppers.

I found this online. What is the Best Substitute for fully grown Malagueta Chili: Thai Jinda, Tabasco, Chiltepin, Thai Bird’s Eye Chili, Cayenne, Prik Kee Nu.

Tabasco was a bit of a surprise. I'd probably go with cayenne, myself.

CD

Back
Top Bottom