Recipe & Video Chicken Ginger Congee - Ji Zhou

murphyscreek

Veteran
Local time
7:53 PM
The ultimate in Asian comfort food...but also happens to be delicious in my opinion. Eaten any time of day, especially breakfast, and something you might serve someone you love if they were feeling a bit under the weather.

Ingredients

1 cup jasmine rice
2 chicken marylands
1 knob ginger
3 stalks spring onion
1/2 cup Chinese cooking wine
10 cups water
Salt
Pepper
Light soy sauce (A drizzle for serving)
Sesame oil (A few drops for serving)

Method

Bring the water to boil with some salt and 4-5 black peppercorns. Add the chicken (skin and all), reduce to a simmer, then remove chicken when flesh is just cooked through. Remove and roughly shred chicken meat from bones and skin, cover and refrigerate. Return chicken bones and skin to the broth, along with three slices of ginger, the white parts of three stems of spring onions (lightly bashed), and the cooking wine. Simmer for two hours, skimming off any impurities now and then.

Strain the broth, and return to a clean pot along with the rice. Bring to the boil, then simmer for approximately one hour until desired consistency of congee is achieved, stirring as necessary along the way particularly as the congee thickens. When ready, stir in reserved chicken strips and warm through. Serve with a little light soy sauce and sesame oil, along with some fresh ginger matchsticks and sliced spring onions.

Recipe video:

View: https://youtu.be/fVVSH6xP_Ec

I wondered if someone would be making congee. I was really put off it the first time I tried so I really must try it again.

To clarify, in Australia, a chicken maryland is a cut of chicken which contains both the drumstick and thigh. The term Chicken Maryland has a different meaning in the USA.

I've never eaten this dish. Heard the name before but didn't really know what it was. It looks like a bit like risotto but obviously the cooking method is different. Would Jasmine rice be the 'authentic' rice used?

To clarify, in Australia, a chicken maryland is a cut of chicken which contains both the drumstick and thigh. The term Chicken Maryland has a different meaning in the USA.

I've never eaten this dish. Heard the name before but didn't really know what it was. It looks like a bit like risotto but obviously the cooking method is different. Would Jasmine rice be the 'authentic' rice used?

It's a bit hard to say what is the authentic rice for this dish. Versions are made across so many Asian Countries, and regions. It's as much a home cooked thing as anything else, and to that end most Asian households would just use whatever rice they have. That's not to say there aren't restaurant versions, that use the most suitable types of rice for this.. e. g. glutinous rice. And some types of less starchy rice are most definitely not so suitable.. e. g. basmati

It's kind of like asking what is the authentic potato you use to make a chip or french fry. Is there one? I'm not sure. Can you use any type of spud though? I'd say yes.

And that's just the rice...there are so many variations on other elements too. e. g. Stock v Water

Yeah I know - I suppose I was really asking if it should be glutinous rice for best results. :okay:

I guess it kind of depends how thick you like it too. I've seen some recipes where they use 50/50 glutinous, but others that use non glutinous rice, but say if you want it thick just cook it longer and add water if needed.

I love this dish, but I had no idea it was called congee! A Thai food stall in out local indoor market makes it, but they just call it Thai rice soup. We often had it for breakfast on a Saturday morning. They also sprinkle crispy onion bits and fresh coriander on top, and serve with a wedge of lime. Occasionally they do a fish version, which is just as good.

I love this dish, but I had no idea it was called congee! A Thai food stall in out local indoor market makes it, but they just call it Thai rice soup. We often had it for breakfast on a Saturday morning. They also sprinkle crispy onion bits and fresh coriander on top, and serve with a wedge of lime. Occasionally they do a fish version, which is just as good.

Absolutely, the crispy fried onion and/or garlic is a common condiment for this I think. A fish version would be a new one to me, but despite spending a lot of time in other South East Asian Countries I've not been to Thailand. I'm guessing in Thailand they might offer chilli as a side as well?

Absolutely, the crispy fried onion and/or garlic is a common condiment for this I think. A fish version would be a new one to me, but despite spending a lot of time in other South East Asian Countries I've not been to Thailand. I'm guessing in Thailand they might offer chilli as a side as well?
Yes, I've had it garnished with finely sliced fresh chilli's, and they always have dried chilli flakes and coursely groung black pepper as condiments. The ingredients seem to vary every time!

The ultimate in Asian comfort food...but also happens to be delicious in my opinion. Eaten any time of day, especially breakfast, and something you might serve someone you love if they were feeling a bit under the weather.

View attachment 41161
View attachment 41162

Ingredients

1 cup jasmine rice
2 chicken marylands
1 knob ginger
3 stalks spring onion
1/2 cup Chinese cooking wine
10 cups water
Salt
Pepper
Light soy sauce (A drizzle for serving)
Sesame oil (A few drops for serving)

Method

Bring the water to boil with some salt and 4-5 black peppercorns. Add the chicken (skin and all), reduce to a simmer, then remove chicken when flesh is just cooked through. Remove and roughly shred chicken meat from bones and skin, cover and refrigerate. Return chicken bones and skin to the broth, along with three slices of ginger, the white parts of three stems of spring onions (lightly bashed), and the cooking wine. Simmer for two hours, skimming off any impurities now and then.

Strain the broth, and return to a clean pot along with the rice. Bring to the boil, then simmer for approximately one hour until desired consistency of congee is achieved, stirring as necessary along the way particularly as the congee thickens. When ready, stir in reserved chicken strips and warm through. Serve with a little light soy sauce and sesame oil, along with some fresh ginger matchsticks and sliced spring onions.

Recipe video:

View: https://youtu.be/fVVSH6xP_Ec

I learned something else new, American/English included! :laugh:
A very nice recipe!

Back
Top Bottom