Recipe Chicken Mole

CraigC

Guru
Local time
7:35 PM
There are many moles in Mexican cuisine. Probably the most known, with many variations, is guacamole. This recipe is probably the second most known. It is also called black mole. I have seen other recipes for it with even more ingredients, but this is the only one I've made. I only made it once because Karen wasn't fond of it. If you don't have access to Mexican chocolate, I have included a sub recipe below the mole recipe.

Ingredients
1 chicken (3 to 4 pounds), cut into 6 pieces or your favorite pieces
5 black peppercorns
Kosher salt
1/2 cup sesame seeds
5 whole cloves
1 cinnamon stick
1/2 teaspoon anise seeds
1/4 teaspoon coriander seeds
6 dried guajillo chile peppers
4 dried ancho chile peppers
6 tablespoons vegetable oil
1/4 cup raisins
1/4 cup whole blanched almonds
1/4 cup hulled pumpkin seeds
2- 6 -inch corn tortillas, torn into pieces
1- 2 .7-ounce disk Mexican chocolate, broken into pieces
Pinch of sugar

Directions
1) Put the chicken and peppercorns in a large pot, cover with water and season with salt. Bring to a gentle simmer over low heat and cook until tender, about 40 minutes. Transfer the chicken to a large plate and set the cooking liquid aside.
2) Toast the sesame seeds in a dry skillet over medium heat, tossing, until golden, about 5 minutes. Set aside 2 tablespoons for garnish and transfer the rest to a blender.
3) In the same skillet, toast the cloves, cinnamon stick, and anise and coriander seeds until fragrant, about 3 minutes. Add to the blender.
4) Remove the stems and seeds from the dried chili peppers.
5) Heat 4 tablespoons oil in the same skillet over medium heat. Add the chilis and fry until lightly toasted, about 2 minutes. Transfer to a bowl, cover with hot water and set aside to soak until pliable, about 30 minutes.
6) Meanwhile, add the raisins, almonds, pumpkin seeds and tortilla pieces to the oil in the skillet and cook, stirring, until the seeds and tortillas are golden brown, about 2 minutes.
7) Add to the blender along with the oil from the skillet.
8) Add the softened chilis and puree, pouring in 2 to 3 cups of the soaking liquid to make a thick, smooth sauce.
9) Heat the remaining 2 tablespoons oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the chili sauce and fry, stirring, until thickened, 5 to 6 minutes.
10) Add 4 cups of the reserved chicken cooking liquid and simmer until the sauce starts to thicken, about 20 minutes.
11) Add the chocolate and simmer, stirring frequently, until the chocolate melts and the sauce reduces, about 20 more minutes.
12) Add the sugar and season with salt.
13) Add the chicken pieces to the sauce and warm through over low heat.
14) Garnish with the reserved sesame seeds.

Sub for Mexican chocolate
Ingredients

Semi-sweet chocolate or cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 drop almond extract (optional)

Preparation

Replace the Mexican chocolate called for in your recipe with an equal amount of semi-sweet chocolate or cocoa powder.
1) Add 1/2 teaspoon of ground cinnamon and, if you like, 1 drop of almond extract for every ounce of chocolate.

Last edited:
I'm itching to make a mole now. Its an age since I did. I had a whole spate of making them a while back. Then I got rather put off at one point by a very detailed Mexican cookery book (which I had requested for Xmas) which made the whole process sound laborious. I believe it is a very authentic book. I'll dig it out and post details here later.

I have a large collection of different types of dried chillies which will be a good start...

I'm itching to make a mole now. Its an age since I did. I had a whole spate of making them a while back. Then I got rather put off at one point by a very detailed Mexican cookery book (which I had requested for Xmas) which made the whole process sound laborious. I believe it is a very authentic book. I'll dig it out and post details here later.

I have a large collection of different types of dried chillies which will be a good start...

Was it a book by Diane Kennedy? If so, we have a book from her and most recipes are very involved or even intimidating.

This one:
Photo on 18-01-2018 at 12.32.jpg

Rick has a show called "Mexico: One Plate at a Time". He has two restaurants in Chicago. Frontera Grill and Tompolobampo. I catch his show as often as I can. You might also look up Susan Feniger and Mary Sue Milliken. They have two cookbooks together, City Cuisine and Mesa Mexicana.

I have never made Mole - other than guacamole. I have had it in restaurants numerous times. Unfortunately I have been disappointed. There have been 3 exceptions - a restaurant in San Diego, another in McAllen, Tx and -surprise - last week a Mexican restaurant in Denver, Co. Lovely!

I have never made Mole - other than guacamole. I have had it in restaurants numerous times. Unfortunately I have been disappointed. There have been 3 exceptions - a restaurant in San Diego, another in McAllen, Tx and -surprise - last week a Mexican restaurant in Denver, Co. Lovely!

Mole is going on the list for a future Cookalong. Meanwhile...

Perhaps it is an easier book than the one I have? I looked at it again and I'm still finding it difficult.

I think Rick does things old school. I know there are ingredients like nopales (cactus paddles) that won't be easy to come by. I don't know if you have access to tomatillos either.

Back
Top Bottom