Chicken, mushroom and leek pie

MrMajeika

Local time
7:46 PM
hi all, looking for some advice on making a pie with leftover chicken. I have a decent idea of what i want. Thinking to fry some leeks and mushrooms in oil (want to keep it dairy free so not butter), then add some thyme then flour and stock and a bit of soya cream. Then want to use shortcrust pastry for a base and lid. The issues i have:

1. not sure of the measurements to get the right consistency of the roux/veloute. I think i usually do 50gr fat, 50gr flour to 500ml liquid but not sure. don't want the filling too runny.
2. as i am making a bottom to the pie do i need to blind bake first to get a crispy base?

Any other tips?

hi all, looking for some advice on making a pie with leftover chicken. I have a decent idea of what i want. Thinking to fry some leeks and mushrooms in oil (want to keep it dairy free so not butter), then add some thyme then flour and stock and a bit of soya cream. Then want to use shortcrust pastry for a base and lid. The issues i have:

1. not sure of the measurements to get the right consistency of the roux/veloute. I think i usually do 50gr fat, 50gr flour to 500ml liquid but not sure. don't want the filling too runny.
2. as i am making a bottom to the pie do i need to blind bake first to get a crispy base?

Any other tips?
When I'm making a two-crust chicken pot pie, I don't blind bake the bottom first.

On the roux, I think that'd be fine, as the proportions are about right, though I usually use a little less for an 8"-9" pie pan...maybe closer to 40/40/400.

Chicken pot pie is one of my absolute favorites (any meat pie, really), so please post some pics if you like. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom