Chicken parma.....help needed

Ok, we got chicken breasts on the weekend and in freezer until I try these. Looks like I'll be doing these in 2 days time, got Parma cheese and I think I'll skip the ham/prosciutto ? Daughter wants to try as well, plus she's a really good critic and has to be at a meeting near us so her and her mr6 coming as well. Can't wait ! ! :)

Russ

Just read the whole thread... questions.

Do you butterfly and/or pound your chicken breasts thin? That is typical prep for chicken parm. It pan fries fast and evenly, so it is crispy outside, and moist and tender inside.

Do you put the ham between the chicken and the cheese? I wouldn't do that. I would leave any kind of ham out, myself. The ham will make a barrier between the chicken and the cheese.

How did you bake and serve it. Typically you pan fry the chicken with the dredge and crumbs until almost done, and then put the chicken cutlets on top of a layer of sauce, and add your soft melty cheese, like low moisture mozzarella or provolone, and bake until melty and done.

Serve it the same way, with the sauce on the bottom. If you put it on top, it will make the chicken crust wet. Sauce, crispy fried chicken, gooey cheese. Perfect.

Putting some freshly grated parm-reg in your bread crumbs is a nice touch. In spite of the name, chicken parm doesn't have a lot of parm in it. You use the parm to flavor the dish, while the stretchy-gooey cheese is mozzarella or provolone.

That's my two cents.

CD

Just read the whole thread... questions.

Do you butterfly and/or pound your chicken breasts thin? That is typical prep for chicken parm. It pan fries fast and evenly, so it is crispy outside, and moist and tender inside.

Do you put the ham between the chicken and the cheese? I wouldn't do that. I would leave any kind of ham out, myself. The ham will make a barrier between the chicken and the cheese.

How did you bake and serve it. Typically you pan fry the chicken with the dredge and crumbs until almost done, and then put the chicken cutlets on top of a layer of sauce, and add your soft melty cheese, like low moisture mozzarella or provolone, and bake until melty and done.

Serve it the same way, with the sauce on the bottom. If you put it on top, it will make the chicken crust wet. Sauce, crispy fried chicken, gooey cheese. Perfect.

Putting some freshly grated parm-reg in your bread crumbs is a nice touch. In spite of the name, chicken parm doesn't have a lot of parm in it. You use the parm to flavor the dish, while the stretchy-gooey cheese is mozzarella or provolone.

That's my two cents.

CD

I find that leads to a soggy bottom crust. Just like eggplant parm, we now do individual servings, putting the cheese on top of the fried piece of chicken, then sauce, then into the oven to melt the cheese. The cheese acts as a barrier to the sauce so it doesn't make the crust soggy. I used to do both casserole style, but the soggy texture just made the dish gloppy and was a turn off.

We don't really thin out the chicken too much, just make it even. Neither of us likes the really thin pieces of meat. We like the crunch of the breading, but want meat too.

Here's the recipe for the Fresh Sicilian sauce from the Frugal Gourmet that we use as a mother sauce for our Italian tomato sauces.

We don't really thin out the chicken too much, just make it even. Neither of us likes the really thin pieces of meat. We like the crunch of the breading, but want meat too.

Here's the recipe for the Fresh Sicilian sauce from the Frugal Gourmet that we use as a mother sauce for our Italian tomato sauces.

Agree completely and I'm with you on the herbs, I will use tried and trusted basil and oregano. Just one thing? Sauce on the one I had only has sauce on top then cheese on top of that? Am I correct?
I like your idea of making batches of sauce up. I'm trying a small batch as its my first time with this. If I like the sauce ( no reason not to) I will make a batch up and freeze as I do with my tomato paste up that I freeze in 2 litre containers.

Taking chicken out later for tomorrow and I had planned on flattening it with a rolling pin.
Things are sounding good, daughter is also,looking forward to it. When I get a recipe right I write it out for her. For when I'm not longer here. She has a huge folder I made her. I'll start another thread on that.

Btw thanks everyone.

Appreciate it. A lot! I knew cc and mt would steer me right and cd was a help as well.

Russ

I got told I'm doing this again, it really was nice.

Russ

Couple of mods to do, like I couldn't find panko so used combo of coarse and fine crumbs. Man eyes!

And couldn't find Italian mixed herbs, I've seen them here as well.

Russ

Back
Top Bottom