Recipe Chicken Pot pie

Diane Lane

Veteran
Local time
2:50 PM
I made a really delicious chicken pot pie last night. I didn't make my own crust, but I used Pillsbury rolled pie crusts, and they were delicious. I have been using store brand roll out crusts and didn't realize what a difference there was between those and the Pillsbury, but the Pillsbury are much flakier and have a nicer flavor, so I'll use them again in the future, when I don't make my own. This time, I pulled out my board and actually rolled out the crusts, so they would fit better in the pan, because I have an oversized pie pan. I still need to do a little better on that end, but it didn't affect the taste. I used Ree Drummond's recipe, and had cooked the chicken ahead of time, so that made the process quicker.

Attachments

• chicken pot pie.jpg
    chicken pot pie.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 270
Sounds good @Diane Lane. It's not something I have made before. I did try the Pillsbury Crescent rolls recently though. I made some ham and cheese croissants. They were nice but I want to make my own from scratch sometime.

Sounds good @Diane Lane. It's not something I have made before. I did try the Pillsbury Crescent rolls recently though. I made some ham and cheese croissants. They were nice but I want to make my own from scratch sometime.

I've also never made crescent rolls from scratch. I have been seeing a lot of recipes using crescent rolls lately, so I might need to buy some. I'm not sure how involved the process is for making them, but if it involves yeast and letting them rise, I'm not that patient, so it might be better for me to stick to store bought. I do like to try most things at least once, though, so I'll have to look into it. You've never had a chicken (or other) pot pie? They're my favorite. I have always loved pies, both sweet and savory, and I think the first one I ever made was a hamburger or cheeseburger pie made with crescent rolls. I'd totally forgotten about that until I saw your post. I'll have to look around and see if I can find the recipe. If I do, I'll try to post it.

I love pot pie. I don't make my own crust either. I always buy them. That pie looks amazing though.
The hamburger/cheeseburger pie with crescent rolls sounds really good. That would be something
that my family would enjoy. What all went in it?

I love pot pie. I don't make my own crust either. I always buy them. That pie looks amazing though.
The hamburger/cheeseburger pie with crescent rolls sounds really good. That would be something
that my family would enjoy. What all went in it?

I haven't made it in years, but I've been digging through my recipes lately, so I'll try to see if I can find the recipe. I don't remember exactly what went in it, but obviously hamburger and I believe some sort of cheese, and I know for sure onion. I don't recall if there was a tomato component, but if not, I'd probably add it, or perhaps some Rotel, which I seem to add to everything I use hamburger or beef in these days.

Reactions: L_B
I just realized I haven't had Chicken pot pie in so long! I will give this a try and test it against my mom's own recipe. We shall see who will win. There is a question i have about Chicken pot pie though. My dad's side of the family tend to make pot pies in a bowl. They simply spoon soupier filling in the bowls, then egg wash the rims, and place thin pastry on lid to seal with air holes etc... Whereas my mom's side, make thicker fillings in oven proof dishes or casserole dishes and place pastry directly on top of filling which she then pierces the first letter of her name on. Can anyone elaborate on these? Are these both Chicken pot pies?

I just realized I haven't had Chicken pot pie in so long! I will give this a try and test it against my mom's own recipe. We shall see who will win. There is a question i have about Chicken pot pie though. My dad's side of the family tend to make pot pies in a bowl. They simply spoon soupier filling in the bowls, then egg wash the rims, and place thin pastry on lid to seal with air holes etc... Whereas my mom's side, make thicker fillings in oven proof dishes or casserole dishes and place pastry directly on top of filling which she then pierces the first letter of her name on. Can anyone elaborate on these? Are these both Chicken pot pies?
I think they are both Chicken Pot Pies. We don't call them that in the UK. We just call it Chicken Pie! You can have a 'soupy' filling or a thicker filling. I prefer something in-between. I reckon a bit of gravy is a good thing!

Speaking of meat, pies and Pillsbury:

I right now am visiting with the coolest person in the world (my mom) and often while I do so, I will cook for us. So, I made a couple of meat pies (the filling was: a pre-cooked half & half mix of ground beef & pork, a homemade pan gravy which was made from the meat drippings, added beef stock, flour, salt, pepper & garlic, a can of peas, precooked finely diced fresh carrots, 2 precooked and finely diced russet potatoes, a whole sautéed sweet onion, multiple sauteed cloves of garlic, and then- for that French-Canadian 'Toutriere' touch- along with my seasonings of salt, pepper, additional garlic & onion powder: the required bit of cinnamon, cloves,& nutmeg) last night. Winter calls for meat-pies. :)

I made my own pie crust dough... I recently learned how to make it from scratch with butter (about a month ago), but last nightbecause I had never tried using the stuff, I instead decided to buy a pound of 'Tenderflake' shortening (pure lard) and I made a batch of dough with it using the package directions. I've yet to have a slice one of the pies (I made 2 of them, double-crusted, and then an additional few small 'pasties' stuffed with the meat mixture from the inevitable leftover dough scraps I ended up with) but the crust browned up very nicely (one I baked in a disposable metal pie tin and the other I baked in a glass pie plat, in order to test how Tenderflake crust dough bakes in each), it smelled great, I didn't have any trouble rolling it out or incorporating the lard while making it... so, overall, it looks like the endeavor was a success. However, I'm not one to count my chickens before they've hatched, so I'll report back to you guys later on this evening, after mom and I conduct our taste-test!

I've always preferred my pie to be of the meat-sort (I have an odd sweet tooth, it's small but very and defined, and it's never really liked sweet pies... it's just starting to veer that way now at 30 years of age), and chicken pot pie has always been a favorite of mine. Years ago I found quite a cool little recipe that I still use today, whenever I want to 'cheat' a little with my pie crust dough (you use a store-bought dough by Pillsbury) but still want something warm, tasty, comforting, filling, and pastry-based. What then makes the recipe even better, in my opinion, is that it also itty-bitifies things... so that you end up with 12 little versions of something as wonderful as the revered CHICKEN POT PIE! :)

Here's basically the same recipe that I ended up stumbling on back then (courtesy of, yep', you said it, Google!):

http://www.pillsbury.com/recipes/grands-mini-chicken-pot-pies/0e592952-6d19-403c-b156-882da7be33cf

Yummers. :)

I think they are both Chicken Pot Pies. We don't call them that in the UK. We just call it Chicken Pie! You can have a 'soupy' filling or a thicker filling. I prefer something in-between. I reckon a bit of gravy is a good thing!
I did just that too! It also managed to get somewhat if an approval from both parents the other day when I had them over for dinner too.
Speaking of meat, pies and Pillsbury:

@niemela23 That recipe looks delish! Those look so perfect to make and keep in the freezer. I will give that recipe a try the next time I've decided to make meat pies. I have never thought to make mini portions of these.

Back
Top Bottom