Recipe Chicken Rizzala ( Green Chicken Korma)

karadekoolaid

Legendary Member
Local time
1:10 PM
I discovered this recipe some years ago, when looking for a meat/poultry recipe using a divine herb mix called hariyali pudina - basically, an Indian "pesto" with mint and coriander. It´s a mild, green Korma recipe from Madhya Pradesh, smack in the middle of India - and I have to admit, I´ve never seen it on a restaurant menu, although it well deserves to be there. I made it a few times at home, and then, in a moment of complete madness, chose it as one of the main dishes for a Gala dinner at the Caracas Country Club.
And before you ask - no, I´m not a professional chef, but I love a challenge.
Chicken Rizzala ( Serves 5-6)

Ingredients:

100 gms cashew nuts
3-4 tbsps ghee
2 large onions, julienned
1 kg chicken ( you can use breast, like I did, or legs, or what ever takes your fancy)
2 tsps salt
3-4 bay leaves
5-6 whole cardamoms
1 stick cinnamon
2-4 fresh green chiles ( Thai are good)
20 gms fresh ginger
20 gms fresh garlic, minced ( about 5-6 cloves)
3 tsps coriander powder
1 tsp cumin powder
700 mls single cream
60 gms ( a handful!) coriander leaf
60 gms fresh mint leaves
1 tsp sugar
juice of 1 lime or half a lemon
20 gms ghee or unsalted butter
1/2 tsp grated nutmeg or mace

Method:
  1. Soak the cashews in hot water for about half an hour
  2. Heat the ghee in a medium pan and add the onions. Cook gently over medium- low heat for about 20 minutes, stirring frequently, so that the onions are very soft but not browned.
  3. Remove the onions with a slotted spoon, leaving the ghee in the pan, and blend to a smooth paste with the cashew nuts and the soaking water. Set aside.
  4. Place the chicken in the ghee, sprinkle on the salt and fry gently until the chicken is very slightly browned, about 10-15 minutes.
  5. Now add the bay leaves, cardamom pods and cinnamon stick and stir for 1 minute.
  6. Finely chop the chiles, ginger and garlic and add to the mixture, Stir for about 2-3 minutes, until the garlic softens.
  7. Now add the coriander and cumin and stir.
  8. Add the onion/cashew mixture and the cream. Cook for about 15 minutes until the sauce thickens and the chicken is almost done.
  9. Blend the mint and coriander to a paste, with a bit of water, and add to the pan with the sugar. Cook through until the chicken is done to your taste.
  10. Add the lime juice, the melted ghee and the nutmeg. Stir through and serve with pullao rice.

Back
Top Bottom