Chickpeas

lizzief79

Veteran
Local time
6:40 PM
I accidentally picked up two tins of chickpeas the other day instead of the kidney beans I had intended to buy. The thing is, I don't usually buy these and have no idea what to make with them. Have any of you got some imaginative ideas for recipes including chickpeas?

what were you planning on using the kidney beans for?

I just use chickpeas the same way - eat them as they are strained from the can, add them to stews or make hummus or pate from them. They won't need anything doing to them unless you want to.

I am not really a lover of chick peas. I think I must have tasted them once at a luncheon. I once got them at a fair when I entered a competition by picking a number, and a can of chick peas was in the package which corresponded to that number. Well, I never used them, I just gave them away when my church had their own fair and was asking for contributions from the members. However, if I were to use them, I would probably just warm them up and put them at the side of a rice dish along with the other vegetables. In fact, they can be used with any dish, but I would most likely use them with rice. You can also season them to taste if you wish, but they are not something that I usually use.

what were you planning on using the kidney beans for?

I just use chickpeas the same way - eat them as they are strained from the can, add them to stews or make hummus or pate from them. They won't need anything doing to them unless you want to.

I was using the kidney beans in a chilli con carne. My partner doesn't like hummus, but I might try adding them to a stew/ casserole type dish. Another thing I was considering is to make like chickpea curry with them. I might just have to be a bit inventive.

You can make a cold salad with them as well, toss them with some red onion, celery, lemon juice, olive oil, fresh parsley, sea salt and fresh ground black pepper. It's a nice summer side dish, and an alternative to the usual pasta salad or potato salad. You can even make this more substantial by mixing in some tuna fish, and it becomes more like a meal. I think chick peas can also be used in your classic 4 bean salad recipe too.

The website Steamy Kitchen had a recipe for an Indian Chick Pea Dal over rice which looked pretty good too: http://www.steamykitchen.com/34664-indian-chickpea-dal-with-coconut-recipe-video.html

We usually just warm them up and toss with olive oil, salt and pepper and serve them along side some garlicy sauteed spinach.

I've also heard of people seasoning them with spices, and roasting them in the oven. They become more like a savory nutty snack.

You could try making hummus. I personally love it but I only ever eat it when I order it at restaurants because I never buy chickpeas. It's great with a little olive oil and warm pita, though.

I have never ate a chick pea nor have I ever had hummus. Since you mentioned this and others are saying hummus, I may give this a try myself. I've been wanting to try hummus so I gotta start somewhere.

You could try making hummus. I personally love it but I only ever eat it when I order it at restaurants because I never buy chickpeas. It's great with a little olive oil and warm pita, though.

I like hummus but my partner doesn't. I am actually thinking of making some lamb, eggplant, zucchini and tomato kebabs tonight with a chickpea side dish and cous cous. I will see how it goes.

Back
Top Bottom