Child friendly camp fire ideas

I was prolly still a child when I saw them In the cafeteria cabinet. I was about 5 weeks off my 15th birthday, I lied by 2 years to get the job. I've made them ever since, but not my home made stuff, but tinned. I'm the only 1 that has them.

Russ

Well beetroot and whole onions are not usually very kid friendly, LOL!
I found whole onions (grilled and soft, with roasted bits) to be kid-friendly when I was a kid. TBH, just about anything cooked outdoors on a camping event just seemed so special to me. It was the locale, and the sense of something special. Maybe not marshmallows.... they were things we stuck at the end of sticks and watched them crisp up and burn away without ever eating them. As a kid - fun in its own right. (Never heard of s'mores until I was nearing 30 years of age, and to date I have never eaten one. So many better things to do with chocolate!)

I simply think: kids differ.

I found whole onions (grilled and soft) to be kid-friendly when I was a kid. TBH, just about anything cooked outdoors on a camping event just seemed so special to me. It was the locale, and the sense of something special. Maybe not marshmallows.... they were things we stuck at the end of sticks and watched them crisp up and burn away without ever eating them. As a kid - fun in its own right. (Never heard of s'mores until I was nearing 30 years of age, and to date I have never eaten one. So many better things to do with chocolate!)
But you do realize you weren't a normal kid, right? Just kidding.

I was a weird kid. I liked broccoli and onions and such.

In fact, when I tried my first cigarette at age nine, I decided to try it on the basis of analogy: Broccoli cooking smelt bad, but the taste was great! Therefore, maybe that awful smelling tobacco might actually taste good. (I mean, why else were my parents so eager to smoke???) Nope, wrong. Tasted bad, and I had my cousin finish the rest of my cigarette.... The hell with peer pressure, my cousin was my friend!

My nieces loved raw veggie platters by the age of three.

I never ever liked marshmallows. How they can be thought "kid-friendly" escapes me. But different kids are befriended by different foods. The only positive thing marshmallows were good for when camping was putting them on the ends of sticks and watching them burn up. I have never eaten a s'more. I consider the entire concept a waste of good chocolate.

Back
Top Bottom