Recipe Chile con Carne

karadekoolaid

Legendary Member
Local time
1:22 AM
Chile con carne simply means " hot peppers with meat", so I seriously doubt there's an authentic recipe. I don't think the dish even exists in Mexican cuisine - but who cares? I love it, my kids love it, and (unfortunately for me because it means I have to cook) their MATES love it!

Chile con Carne

Ingredients:

1.5 kgs minced beef ( best to use minced beef with fat; lean beef doesn´t give such a good flavor)
4 bell peppers; 2 green, one orange, one red.
2 chilpotle chiles (canned variety. La Costeña or Herdez are good brands)
4 fresh green Thai chiles, chopped
3 medium onions, cut into half moons (or julienne, if you pardon my French)
6 large cloves garlic
2 tbsps ground oregano
1 tbsp ground cumin seed
1 tsp ground coffee (do not even DREAM of using Nescafé)
2 tbsps ground chile powder*
1 tsp achiote/annato/onoto powder **
4 bay leaves
2-3 tsps sea salt (more if necessary; it´s important to taste, taste, taste)
Large tin (800gms) tomatoes
1 tbsp tomato paste
1 tin Chile beans or 200 gms cooked pigeon peas or 200 gms cooked red kidney beans ( I always use dried beans, soaked overnight and cooked first thing)
Olive oil (or sunflower or maize oil)
1 square dark, natural chocolate. (70% cocoa is best – Hershey´s does not cut the mustard)
Fresh coriander leaf (optional)
Water

* This is a homemade mixture of dried, ground, guajillo,ancho and poblano peppers. It´s the flavour, not the heat I look for here.
** If you can find it. It adds a lovely earthy touch. If it´s not available just leave it out.

METHOD:
  • Put you oven (or grill) on max/broil. Cut the peppers in half and deseed/devein. Sprinkle with oil and salt, place on a baking tray and pop into the oven (or under the grill). Cook until they’re blackened on the outside. Remove from heat, cool and peel off blackened skin. Chop and set aside.
  • Meanwhile, in a large pan, heat up the oil of your choice and dump in the onions. Cook until they wilt, then add the crushed garlic and the green chiles. Stir around once or twice, then add the minced beef. Fry on high heat until the meat is no longer pink. Add the spices -oregano, cumin,coffee, chile, achiote, bay leaves – and stir fry for 2 minutes. Now add the tomatoes, the chopped peppers, the chilpotle, the tomato paste, the salt and about two cups of water. Bring to a boil then lower the heat to a simmer. Cook the Chile con Carne for about 40 minutes, or until the liquid has reduced by about 1/3rd.
  • Now add the beans and the chocolate. Cook for about 30-40 minutes more, until the sauce has thickened. Garnish with fresh coriander leaf if you wish.
  • It is VERY important to taste this as you cook. You may like more, or less salt, and more, or less spice – so taste, taste, taste, until you’re satisfied, adding a little bit more as you do so.

I served this with garlic bread, baked potatoes and a fresh salsa made like this:
  • 1 large, ripe tomato
  • 2 spring onions, including the green part
  • 3 fresh chiles (use whatever you’ve got available)
  • Fresh coriander
  • Salt, pepper
  • Lime juice (from 1 lime)
  • A little olive oil.
Dice the tomato, onions and chiles and place in a bowl. Chop the coriander roughly and add to the bowl, along with the juice of 1 lime, salt and pepper. Mix together and add a splash of olive oil (this rounds out the flavour of the salsa) Allow to rest for 20 minutes, then try . It should have (a) a fresh taste (b) heat from the chiles (c) acidity from the lime (d) texture (ie – not like tomato sauce!)

Last edited by a moderator:
Great stuff! I love the addition of the achiote and the use of the ground guajillo,ancho and poblano peppers.

P.S - the photo looks good but its tiny on the screen and in terms of kb . Not sure what you are using to take photos or whether you are down-sizing them?

P.S - the photo looks good but its tiny on the screen and in terms of kb . Not sure what you are using to take photos or whether you are down-sizing them?
It´s an old picture. On a previous foodie site, they only allowed "miniature" photos, which is why it´s so small.
I´ve got other photos, but they´ll be used for other Chile con Carne variations!

Chile con carne simply means " hot peppers with meat", so I seriously doubt there's an authentic recipe. I don't think the dish even exists in Mexican cuisine - but who cares? I love it, my kids love it, and (unfortunately for me because it means I have to cook) their MATES love it!

It was invented in Texas, near the Mexican border. I don't know how far it may have spread into Mexico.

CD

It was invented in Texas, near the Mexican border. I don't know how far it may have spread into Mexico.

CD
Meat cooked in spices has been around for thousands of years. I suspect that chili con carne specifically makes sense that it would come from your part of the Country. Although there might be rules in Texas as to how and what ingredients are used I suspect that the individuals at the time who actually made it didn't consult with each other and that the majority rule crept into that mantra, just speculating.

Meat cooked in spices has been around for thousands of years. I suspect that chili con carne specifically makes sense that it would come from your part of the Country. Although there might be rules in Texas as to how and what ingredients are used I suspect that the individuals at the time who actually made it didn't consult with each other and that the majority rule crept into that mantra, just speculating.

The real Texas Chili fanatics have very strict rules, kind of like Italian cooking fanatics are about Carbonara. I'm not one of them. Finding one true "original" recipe is impossible, but there are certain things that are known.

In karadekoolaid's recipe, the coffee caught me by surprise, but sounds interesting -- I may try it sometime. Kidney beans is not a choice I would make, but I'm fine with pinto beans in my chili. I believe chili beans are pinto beans -- not 100% sure.

CD

The real Texas Chili fanatics have very strict rules, kind of like Italian cooking fanatics are about Carbonara. I'm not one of them. Finding one true "original" recipe is impossible, but there are certain things that are known.

In karadekoolaid's recipe, the coffee caught me by surprise, but sounds interesting -- I may try it sometime. Kidney beans is not a choice I would make, but I'm fine with pinto beans in my chili. I believe chili beans are pinto beans -- not 100% sure.

CD
Right makes sense. I like the Idea of yours to use bacon fat instead of lard or tallow. The flavor of beef, chili's and cumin is a good one but personally adding flavor in that might compliment shouldn't be discouraged I believe. Coffee is a no brainer and right now I have a beef entre where the sauce has dried ancho's and espresso in it, so I would personally give that a go. The bean thing is well, personal, because the kidney bean and pinto with the exception of shape and color will have the same effect. I suspect if in the old west the chuck wagon had space for beans, because beans as well know have a long history on the trail as Mel Brooks will attest to will have used beans in a chili. :)

Back
Top Bottom