1/2 tsp cumin powder
1 tbsp tomato paste
1 beef stock cube
1 1/2 cups beef stock
3 squares dark chocolate
fresh coriander chopped
zest 1/2 lemon

Method

Brown mince in olive oil and season with salt. Remove mince and set aside. Gently fry onions in a little more oil and when turning golden add capsicums and garlic and fry a little longer. Add dry spices and dry chillies and continue to stir and brown. Then add tomato paste and fry a little longer. Add canned tomatoes, liquid beef stock, and stock cube and mix in, then simmer the mixture for 1 hour or more. Mix in beans, chocolate, and fresh chillies (if using) and simmer another ten minutes. Turn off heat and top with coriander and lemon zest. I served it with avocado mashed with lemon juice, creme fraiche, and corn chips.

Recipe video:
View: https://youtu.be/SqQv1qRo2kg

rascal

Guru
Local time
4:47 AM
View attachment 30005

Ingredients

500gms beef mince
1 can crushed tomatoes
1 can red kidney beans rinsed
2 onions chopped
1 red capsicum chopped
1 green capsicum chopped
3 cloves garlic finely chopped
3 tsp dried chilli flakes(to taste)
1 tsp chilli powder(to taste)
2 large red chillies sliced(optional)
1 tsp smoked paprika
3 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp cumin powder
1 tbsp tomato paste
1 beef stock cube
1 1/2 cups beef stock
3 squares dark chocolate
fresh coriander chopped
zest 1/2 lemon

Method

Brown mince in olive oil and season with salt. Remove mince and set aside. Gently fry onions in a little more oil and when turning golden add capsicums and garlic and fry a little longer. Add dry spices and dry chillies and continue to stir and brown. Then add tomato paste and fry a little longer. Add canned tomatoes, liquid beef stock, and stock cube and mix in, then simmer the mixture for 1 hour or more. Mix in beans, chocolate, and fresh chillies (if using) and simmer another ten minutes. Turn off heat and top with coriander and lemon zest. I served it with avocado mashed with lemon juice, creme fraiche, and corn chips.

Recipe video:
View: https://youtu.be/SqQv1qRo2kg
What difference does the chocolate make? I've never had it with it, well I don't think so.

Russ

Local time
12:47 PM
Website
absolute0cooking.com
You don't really taste it, but it gives it an added richness that you miss if it's not there.
Yes...and now you're reminding me that I always used to add chocolate to chili, but I haven't done in some time for whatever reason (perhaps a lack of chocolate one time, and a lack of following recipes all the other times). So, I will be able to tell the difference with my next batch. Cheers for that!

Top Bottom