SatNavSaysStraightOn

Staff member
Local time
8:41 AM
Website
www.satnavsaysstraighton.com
Chilli Jam is a new one on me but it seems to be surprisingly common in Australia. Have you come across it? Do you like it ? I know first time I tried it I was unsure on it, but now I love it. Hubby is the same. But it's definitely one where you need to know how strong you like it . Luckily we like it quite strong. We're using it in place of a relish or pickle on sandwiches but I've no idea on how you're meant to use it.

I haven't tried this version yet but it is in our cupboard. I'll photo the one we are currently enjoying when I get home .

_20190111_132456.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah - its a good thing. Although most of them are far too sweet for me. I think you are using it in just the right way. Its a condiment and can be used with all sorts of savoury dishes. I'm surprised you never heard of it in the UK as I think its been around for ages. Well... I think so!

Believe it or not, Tesco's has a recipe to make your own which looks rather good:

https://realfood.tesco.com/step-by-step/how-to-make-spicy-chilli-jam.html

Ingredients needed:

2 x 60g packs red chillies

2 large red peppers
500g tomatoes, halved
2 garlic cloves, chopped

1 tsp grated ginger (2cm piece, peeled)
2 tbsp soy sauce
300g soft brown sugar
100ml white wine vinegar
1 lemon, juiced
½ tsp salt

The one we first tasted and rather like is this one, Anthony's Sauces & Condiments, which also has far fewer ingredients. I think it is also much more concentrated that the other one (Beerenberg).

_20190111_150008.JPG
_20190111_145941.JPG

It says this about it on their website. They are a local company and they also have something called Sweet Chilli Jam as well so this isn't their sweet one!

CHILLI JAM
The king of savoury jams, absolutely divine with any meat. Wonderful in stir fries, great in salad dressings. Add a dollop or two to laksa or any soup. Fabulous with steamed fish, vegetables or poached chicken. Great marinade for any meat, ribs or seafood. A fantastic addition to any cheese board.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom