Chillies and more chillies

rascal

Forum GOD!
Local time
11:12 PM
Wife gave me seeds to germinate 6 weeks ago, some good results, I got 15 giant red chillies planted out now and looking good. These will be for my red curry Thai paste later. I planted 12 different other seeds out. Very small numbers grew. 1 El Paso. 3 serrano and one other, I can't read my own writing,lol. Other green chillies are also growing for this green curry paste. My kids love the trial run I made so there will be a need for all these chillies. I'll put some pics up later.

Russ

3 soon to be large red chillies, and a poor result of trays planted out, reread writhing 2 Carolina reapers.

Russ

Nice!

You do know how hot Carolina Reapers are, I hope.

BTW, chilis are not just good for curries. They are good in all kinds of foods. I use them in Mexican, TexMex, Italian, Spanish, Cajun, BBQ -- lots of genres.

CD

Nice!

You do know how hot Carolina Reapers are, I hope.

BTW, chilis are not just good for curries. They are good in all kinds of foods. I use them in Mexican, TexMex, Italian, Spanish, Cajun, BBQ -- lots of genres.

CD

The reapers will be mixed with others, unless my kids want them which may well happen.

Russ

I don't want nothin' to do with those reapers. I use habaneros/Scotch bonnets in Jamaican dishes, but that's as far as I care to go.

CD
Scotch bonnets never came up, nor Thai hot, nor the worlds hottest. Wife got seeds on line, maybe some past used by date? I'm not big on hot either.

Russ

Scotch bonnets never came up, nor Thai hot, nor the worlds hottest. Wife got seeds on line, maybe some past used by date? I'm not big on hot either.

Russ

Officially, according to the Guinness Book of World Records, Carolina Reapers are the hottest pepper, but the same guy who developed the Reaper has a new pepper, currently know as "Pepper X," that is hotter.

Peppers can be weird to grow. I can get great results one year, and terrible results with the exact same pepper the next year. I do everything exactly the same, but get different results.

My first hot peppers of the year are always mild. In May, my jalapeños can taste like bell peppers, and by September, they blow the top of my head off.

CD

I am not a fan of really hot peppers. My digestive system can not handle them and I do not like peppers for the sake of heat. I love the flavor of peppers but not super heat. To me the flavor gets lost in the heat. Obviously not a "Pepper Head".

I occasionally use Serrano and Cayenne peppers in moderation. Cored and minced. I use Jalapeno Peppers more than any other hot pepper. I use Pablano and Anaheim peppers for Chili Rellenos. G. loves Chili Rellenos with a Queso Fresco/Chorizo stuffing. Green bell peppers - for the Holy Trinity also for stuffing. Pablano and Anaheim peppers are also good for stuffing. Sweet Banana Peppers for anything. Love Hatch peppers when available.

No really hot stuff for me. I do not want to burn my taste buds. Since I quit smoking I find that my ability to taste subtle flavors has improved greatly.

Officially, according to the Guinness Book of World Records, Carolina Reapers are the hottest pepper, but the same guy who developed the Reaper has a new pepper, currently know as "Pepper X," that is hotter.

Peppers can be weird to grow. I can get great results one year, and terrible results with the exact same pepper the next year. I do everything exactly the same, but get different results.

My first hot peppers of the year are always mild. In May, my jalapeños can taste like bell peppers, and by September, they blow the top of my head off.

CD

Ok so it's not me then, I got good results last year, just a bad year? Although the red large chilly I got 100% hit with 15 plants growing. My son who loves heat took 3 home last night. I'm on other murican sites so I know jalapeño poppers are popular. We just freeze and use as needed, there's a lot being used up,with Thai pastes for family and friends who want the paste. I also make my own chilly sauce which my kids use in wraps as well. I value your input, being a Texan.

Russ

I am not a fan of really hot peppers. My digestive system can not handle them and I do not like peppers for the sake of heat. I love the flavor of peppers but not super heat. To me the flavor gets lost in the heat. Obviously not a "Pepper Head".

I occasionally use Serrano and Cayenne peppers in moderation. Cored and minced. I use Jalapeno Peppers more than any other hot pepper. I use Pablano and Anaheim peppers for Chili Rellenos. G. loves Chili Rellenos with a Queso Fresco/Chorizo stuffing. Green bell peppers - for the Holy Trinity also for stuffing. Pablano and Anaheim peppers are also good for stuffing. Sweet Banana Peppers for anything. Love Hatch peppers when available.

No really hot stuff for me. I do not want to burn my taste buds. Since I quit smoking I find that my ability to taste subtle flavors has improved greatly.

I'm exactly like you, yet my kids love extreme heat, our son went into a chilly eating contest. He came 4th but reckoned he could have won if he had done some time eating before the contest. Like you I have a good taste for foods since giving up smoking as well. Gave up in 2006. I won't smoke again!!

Russ

Toying with the idea of how to use this... my son bought it as a present:

It says - Fear The Reaper; Evil vials of pain; Heat rating: bonkers

It contains ground Carolina Reaper and Ghost chilli (Naga).

Here is the vile vial:

I got as far as opening it. And managed to get some on my fingers (it was filled to the brim). I also seemed to have inhaled some as I had a major sneezing fit. Then I washed my hands. However, several hours later I rubbed my eyes and...

Back
Top Bottom