Recipe Chinese-style Herring

Herbie

Veteran
Local time
6:22 AM
A Chinese friend taught me some cooking techniques. One was to steam fish then pour over very hot oil flavoured with garlic, ginger, spring onions, etc. So today I use the technique on herring.

herring.jpg

2 herring (gutted and slits put each side)
1/2 line cut into 4 wedges

1/2 lime juiced
2 tablespoons soy sauce

half green chilli
Half red chilli
6 garlic cloves
knob of fresh ginger (about 2cm)
cup oil (Should be veg oil but I only had rapeseed)
1 small onion thinly sliced (Should be spring onions but I didn't have any)

Pop the lime wedges in the herring cavity
Steam for 10 minutes

Mix the soy sauce and lime juice and set aside.
Once the fish is cooked heat up the oil until very hot. Add the garlic, ginger, chillies and onion and sizzle for 30 seconds (I actually added the onion for a minute before In added the other ingredients as I was not using spring onions)
Tip in the soy/lime mixture. As it sizzles immediately pour over the fish.

What a remarkably simple but very effective way of transforming herring so that they taste sensationally good.

I like the idea of pouring the hot oil over the steamed fish very much.

Brilliant

This is lovely @Herbie and beautifully plated. We don't get enough fresh fish recipes on the Forum (and I am guilty as anyone). Its great to see an economical fish like herring so specially treated.

This is lovely @Herbie and beautifully plated. We don't get enough fresh fish recipes on the Forum (and I am guilty as anyone). Its great to see an economical fish like herring so specially treated.
Thank you.

I used to buy a lot of fresh fish in London but am finding it more difficult in the Midlands and my budget is greatly reduced so I am experimenting with cheaper fish. We love sardines, kippers and squid and eat these a lot. And salmon as I have found if I buy a whole fish and cut it up myself I can get many more portions out of it and have all the bits for stock.

I've just come across a photo of an octopus dish I made the other year so I'll find my recipe and type it up.

Back
Top Bottom