Chips, Not Fries!

last Saturday morning on Saturday Kitchen, one of the clips they showed was Nigella making what she called Tuscan fries. Now the unusual thing she did was put the raw chips into cold oil, t

Tut tut. You're not paying attention. See my thread posted last night: Nigella's Tuscan Chips (Fries) ! :D

Top tip for anyone using the Forum. Check 'Alerts' (top right in green bar), check 'New Threads' (listed on the right). Lastly - if you have time, check 'New Posts' (middle of green bar). :okay:

Pretty well - but perhaps not so much, these days. The traditional British chips look like @Yorky 's but usually a bit longer. Certainly, if you go to a Fish 'n Chip shop, those are the type you will get well, probably not as good as @Yorky s!
That is what I figured and why we were having another of our many misunderstandings.
In the US, any potato or potato based product that is cut into uniform (mostly) pieces and then deep fried can be called french fries. The size doesn't matter. They can be skinny like the ones you posted or they can be fat like Yorky's. Now we also have specialty cut fries like curly fries and waffle fries.

Now super thinly round sliced potatoes that are deep fried are called chips here. We also have tortilla chips. Numerous flavors.

To be fair it's each to its place. The chip is a different animal to the fry [or french fry] and we enjoy both. Big fat chips would just seem weird at a McDonalds - horses for courses really.
Not all fries are French Fries though!

Hey @morning glory I think our biggest communication problem is although we speak the same language, there are two different mindsets.
The potatoes are a good example.
If you go to any fish and chips shop, and order chips you know basically what they will be.
If I go to any restaurant that has french fries on the menu, I do not know what size they will be until I get them. Or if they are prepackaged or prepared on site.
Now yes if I go to a chain restaurant or fast food place, the fries will be the same at all the restaurants in that chain.
Let me take you down Andrews Highway. Just from 27th (Now University) to 42nd, you can get "french fries" at 9 different places to eat. (Well 8 until they get the McDonald's reopened). I guarantee you all 9 will be different. There are 6 more places within 2 kilometers that also sell french fries. They will all be different from the others.
Note: All 15 are in a 2 mile stretch.
Also in the US, there is no standard small, medium and large. A small in one place may be another one's large.

I think our biggest communication problem is although we speak the same language, there are two different mindsets.
I'm sure you are quite right. But I don't think we have a communication problem - as far as I'm concerned its just interesting asking about foods and words in different cultures! And I learn things. :D

I'm sure you are quite right. But I don't think we have a communication problem - as far as I'm concerned its just interesting asking about foods and words in different cultures! And I learn things. :D
You are so right there. We both learn things.
Oh and of those 15 places, 1 is a fancy steakhouse, 1 is a fried chicken place, 1 is a burger place, 1 is fast food Mexican, 2 are Texas based fast food restaurants, 1 is a diner, 1 is a steak delivery place, 1 is local fast food, and the others are fast food chains.

For me, the real problem with chips or fries in America is the monoculture of farming potatoes.
Far too mamy potato growers have all gone to growing the same type and size of potato, all to feed that fast food industry. All long and slender baking type spuds which make the best, longest fries.

It was a similar type of monoculture practice that helped cause the potato famine in Ireland in the 1840s, and now may begin to wipe out today's banana crop.
Do I need to send you some Texas potatoes? They are not all long and slender.

Tut tut. You're not paying attention. See my thread posted last night: Nigella's Tuscan Chips (Fries) ! :D

Top tip for anyone using the Forum. Check 'Alerts' (top right in green bar), check 'New Threads' (listed on the right). Lastly - if you have time, check 'New Posts' (middle of green bar). :okay:

But... but... but... you're the one who asked about Italian chips! Ahhh. In the doghouse again. You and my wife, I'm sure you've got a conspiracy going to give me a hard time. Where's that anti-paranoia medication...?

But... but... but... you're the one who asked about Italian chips! Ahhh. In the doghouse again. You and my wife, I'm sure you've got a conspiracy going to give me a hard time. Where's that anti-paranoia medication...?

You are quite right, I did. And you were bang on topic. Its just that you hadn't noticed my new thread! I was just drawing it to your attention. :whistling: . You are not in the doghouse at all.Perhaps I should be less school teacher-ish :oops::D

You are quite right, I did. And you were bang on topic. Its just that you hadn't noticed my new thread! I was just drawing it to your attention. :whistling: . You are not in the doghouse at all.Perhaps I should be less school teacher-ish :oops::D
Perhaps yes. I am finally learning to understand your attitude. It does come across as bossy and off-putting at times.

Sorry, I was just trying to be humorous, I did get that you were just grabbing an opportunity to offer some general guidance.

By the by, did you see the marinaded steak she did with the Tuscan chips? What did you think? Interesting?

Sorry, I was just trying to be humorous, I did get that you were just grabbing an opportunity to offer some general guidance.

By the by, did you see the marinaded steak she did with the Tuscan chips? What did you think? Interesting?
Yes. I really liked the look of it. The idea of marinading after cooking. But she makes everything sound seductively good! I think she used sirloin? Do you remember?

Yes it was a sirloin but it had no fat and was quite thin - presumably she had cut the fat off bashed it out before hand. Not as thin as a Steak Diane but still quite thin. But even the way she then served it with the chopped cherry tomatoes and raw oregano leaf sprinkled on top. And she put chilli flakes in the marinade as well. My only problem with it was she kept talking about making the one steak go between two. Not sure that's gonna work in this house...

Depends on what you're using. Google chip conspiracy and see what you get, result wise.

Back
Top Bottom