Home kook
Staff member
Local time
9:51 PM
Website
absolute0cooking.com
IMG_0799.JPG

Cupcake Calories.jpg

The coconut zucchini cupcakes were from a recipe I made a while ago, and I didn't actually make them recently. These, however, are something I made over the weekend. The amount of liquid in the batter - plus tequila that will need to evaporate - means that these will take longer to fully cook than most cupcakes. But, I believe, they're worth the wait.

Cake Ingredients

2 1/4 cups flour
1 cup white sugar
¾ cup cocoa powder
1½ teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup low-fat buttermilk
1/4 cup coconut oil, heated until liquefied
2 ounces tequila, blanco (clear)
1/4 cup lime juice
1 cup light brown sugar, lightly packed
6 ounces black coffee, cooled
2 eggs, lightly beaten
2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Frosting Ingredients

1⁄2 cup coconut oil, heated until liquefied
2 cups confectioners' sugar
6 tablespoons skim milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1⁄4 teaspoon kosher salt
1⁄2 cup coconut flakes
2 limes, zested

Directions

Preheat oven to 350°F. Line cupcake pan with paper liners.
Whisk together flour, white sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt in a mixing bowl. Set aside.
In another bowl, mix buttermilk, tequila, liquefied coconut oil, lime juice, brown sugar, coffee, eggs, and vanilla. Mix well to combine.
Pour wet ingredients into dry, and blend using an electric mixer until incorporated. Pour batter into cupcake liners until 2/3 full. Bake 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out of the cupcake cleanly. Because of all the liquid in the batter, this will take longer than normal.
Remove cupcakes from cupcake tins and allow to cool on a rack for at least 10 minutes.
When cupcakes are cooled completely, blend remaining coconut oil until it becomes very white and creamy. Add 1 cup of confectioners' sugar, vanilla, and 2 tablespoons of milk and beat until smooth. Add all remaining ingredients except for coconut flakes and lime zest and blend on low speed until desired consistency is reached. Blend in coconut flakes by hand.
Once cupcakes are completely cooled, top with frosting. Zest the lime peel onto the tops of the cupcakes before the frosting has a chance to set.
Store cupcakes in refrigerator (coconut oil tends to liquefy at room temperature, which will make the frosting run).

Last edited:
Tequila! I don't have a sweet tooth at all but I can see that these cakes would pack a punch.
The alcohol boils off during the cooking; it didn't have as much of a tequila taste as I expected, but it was still there. And, I made a conscious decision to not add chocolate chunks to the mix: the cocoa powder makes it a more earthy experience than you might expect from a chocolate cupcake. But, the frosting provides the sweetness, which the lime zest cuts through somewhat.

Back
Top Bottom