Recipe Chocolate Mousse

garlichead

Über Member
Local time
9:36 PM
I make this once in a while and it's definitely a keeper. I look at some of the recipes for chocolate mousse, and wonder what type of degree in nutritional science is needed to make them, this one is crazy simple. Anyway without further ado.

INGREDIENTS

8 oz. of Belgium dark chocolate
5 tbsps. of water (can replace water with a liquor)
5 eggs separated
pinch of salt
1 tbsp. of sugar

METHOD

Over a double boiler in simmering water melt the chocolate and water slowly, the chocolate should be warm, not hot. Take off heat and whip in the egg yolks, one at a time. Whip egg whites adding a pinch of salt and half way through add the sugar. You want the whites to be stiff but not dry. Add in 1 or 2 big dollops of the whites and blend vigorously into the chocolate to lighten up the mixture. This is key because trying to fold the whites directly into the chocolate will generally deflate the overall mousse by the time it appears to be completely combined. Add the remaining whites in 2 stages, folding gently each time. Scrape into individual dishes or into one large container, your choice, and let sit in the fridge overnight.

This is deceivingly simple, which is what makes it so good. If your using the one bowl method, use a large spoon heated under hot water then dried to scrap the chocolate out in a quenelle fashion for presentation. Belgium chocolate is a must or another equally as good high quality dark chocolate. I use 80% and wouldn't go below 70.

Last edited:
Wonderfully simple. :okay: If anyone in my house had a sweet tooth I'd make this recipe. Strangely, none of us do and I don't even like chocolate unless its in a savoury dish.

Back
Top Bottom